Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR500 Target advice

cwmax2000

I need advice and opinions on making an AR500 steel target set up. I want ;

1. At least 3 targets
  2. Pistol and rifle (up to 7mm Rem Mag)
  3. What sizes and shapes (square or round, with or without ears) are good for what range? (up to 200 yards)
  4. What thickness and weight for different sizes/shapes.
  5. What type of stand for weight capacity and quickness of set up and take down as well as transport.
  6. Any advice on how to attach to any stand..
  7. Good price suppliers.

Thanks for your response. Cmax B)

Go to http://www.gttargets.com/targetsandbases.htm this site will get you started with some ideas.

At least 3 targets - since most steel challange stages consist of 5 targets I suggest using 5 as a minimum

Pistol and rifle (up to 7mm Rem Mag)- I don't have any experience with rifles so I'll pass on this question

What sizes and shapes (square or round, with or without ears) are good for what range? (up to 200 yards)- How challenging do you want to make it. I use 8 " square plates (3/8" thick) for handguns out to about 35 yards. Shapes may be more a result of what you ca find from a local fab shop or scrap yard. If the fab shop has drops from a job that they are running and they don't need to do any additional cutting they may give you a pretty good deal. If you want 10" round plates and the have 14" round drops that need to be cut to 10 diameter for you the cost is going to increase dramatically.

What thickness and weight for different sizes/shapes. - For non magnum hand guns I suggest 3/8" plate

What type of stand for weight capacity and quickness of set up and take down as well as transport. Our local club has stands which belong to the club and are always available for member use. They are made of 3/4 or 1" diameter rebar. They have 3 legs at the bottom with a center stem welded to each of the 3 legs. The top of the stem has a hook welded on. The plates have a hole that fits over the hook. Take a look at the top picture http://steelshooters.com/

Good price suppliers. Commercial targets are available but will be expensive. A local fab shop or scrap yard is a much cheaper alternative.

Edited by cuzinvinny

Thanks to all, ya'll helped me big time....what I ended up doing;

ordered 6 metal plant stands, you can find here;

http://www.midlandhardware.com/105963.html#.U6rf3pRdWSo

and ordered 3- 8" ar500 round plates, you can find here;

http://www.magnumtarget.com/targets/#!/~/product/category=3557093&id=22654150

I will be able to set them up at different spots and change them around, I will have 3 extra stands (as they are cheap) in case I break one or see that I want a different size/shape target....They should be quick and easy to transport and set up/take down.. thanks again to all who responded......Cmax

Shepherds hooks are what I use. They'll take 9mm at close range they will take birdshot with no sweat, a .223 at 100 yards... Not happenin

Quick question:

For pistol use... I'm wondering if you can hit one of these with (example) 5 quick shots, or if that will get the target swinging too much and topple the stand? I've seen problem with some stands that will get swinging and topple over forwards.

Quick question:

For pistol use... I'm wondering if you can hit one of these with (example) 5 quick shots, or if that will get the target swinging too much and topple the stand? I've seen problem with some stands that will get swinging and topple over forwards.

I will report on the good and bad of this setup. It will be after the 4th of July before I will be able to check them out.... What I hope is swinging will not be much of a problem as I plan to put the target plate right on the hook without any chain( like the picture of the target). The down side will be the shaft will be centered with the target.Then later I might try a chain (so I can get some more angle to deflect bullets downward and get shaft off to one side).

We will see. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them...Lets all start shooting steel ...cheap and easy!!! Cmax

Edited by cwmax2000

I like this shepherd's hook video (fast forward to the 2:20 mark):

A hex nut is welded to the edge of the plate. Then the hex nut slips over the hook. I think there is more flexibility to absorb the bullet impact without knocking the hook out of the ground.

On a shepherds hook there's a lot of movement with each hit

My shepherds hooks will take a shotgun or 9mm blast but a .223 will take them over

What diameter is the rod on your hook/stand? What size and shape target are you using? Is it 3/8 AR500 steel? Would you say more or less movement than hanging them by chain from a saw horse type stand?

Edited by cwmax2000

I like this shepherd's hook video (fast forward to the 2:20 mark):

A hex nut is welded to the edge of the plate. Then the hex nut slips over the hook. I think there is more flexibility to absorb the bullet impact without knocking the hook out of the ground.

Looks like more forward backward movement and less sporadic. I like it!