Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

686 with 9x19 clips and 357 bullets?

spook

I searched but found nothing.

Would it be a feasible option to machine a 686 for clips (TK's 9x19 clips) and just process the 9mm brass as if it were 38 short colt? That means sizing 9x19 brass in a 38/357 sizer and loading 357 bullets.

I figured this would make for a soft shooting IPSC revolver and less of a hassle matching clips and headstamp.

Edited by spook

Not worth the hassle. Just use 38 Short Colt brass with Hearthco clips and you're done. You can't size the 9mm completely to fit the 357 chamber. The chamber needs to be reamed to fit the 9mm.

Thanks Sascha :)

Do you use Starline exclusively?

Yes. Buy once, cry once. Same with Hearthco clips. You can reload the starlines several times so the invest is worth it. And the fit of starlines with Heartco's is just perfect and always the same.

I have a 9x23 686 use 9mm in TK clips. Will run on 9x19, 9x21, 9x23, .38 Super. Works great I used it mostly for Steel Challenge and local USPSA matches. Sits in my safe now and seldom gets used.

I have a 9x23 686 use 9mm in TK clips. Will run on 9x19, 9x21, 9x23, .38 Super. Works great I used it mostly for Steel Challenge and local USPSA matches. Sits in my safe now and seldom gets used.

Sounds nice. Do you use the proprietary dies for those calibers, or do you use a 9x23 sizing die for them?

Also worth mentioning; the 9mm will wobble around a bit more than .38SC - all semi auto rounds do because the rims are smaller and provide less support. It isn't as noticeable with a .45 or a .38 Super 8-shot because the rounds are nearly touching, but with the extra space I think you would notice. As others have said, not worth it.

Lee

Yeah, resizing the tapered 9mm case (0.391”) to .38 special diameter (0.379”) and using them in a stock .357mag chamber doesn't work. However, resizing straight walled .38 super cases (0.384) with a .38 special/.357mag sizing die to achieve the 0.379" .38 special case diameter is possible.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Warning: Everything below is just some rambling information about my tinkering with 38super cases in my 627 and might bore you into a coma. You’ve been warned! ;)

I’ve been playing with.38 special cases cut down to about 0.900 (a.k.a 38 mid) in my 357magx8times S&W 627 and had the idea about just using .38 super cases since the .38 mid is basically replicating the .38 super case as far as length and capacity goes.

The .38 super case will size down and easily fit in the chambers of the 627 with no problem. If sizing used brass that has been bulged there may be a few that don’t fit after sizing, but most cases size down OK. The big issue is with the moon clips. The 38 special moon clips do not work with the .38 super case so you have to use .38 super/9mm moon clips. For the S&W 627 the outside diameter of the 38 super moon clip is about 0.050” larger than the 38 special moon clip and won’t fit in the stock .357magnum 627 cylinder recess. Other than the moon clip outside diameter issue they fit the .357 mag 627 just fine. The case head projection of the moonclipped cases from the back of the cylinder is nearly identical between the .38 super and .38 special. The .38 special is about .084” max (moonclip = 0.025, case rim = 0.059 per SAAMI), and the .38 Super is about 0.085” max (moonclip = 0.035, case rim = 0.050” per SAAMI).

So, using a disk sander I removed about 0.025” from the tip of each “star point” on a 38super/9mm moon clip and made sure the modified moon clip fit my 357mag 627 cylinder recess (took all of about 2 minutes). Then I sized some 38 supers using a 38special/357mag sizing die, primed the empty cases and ran them through the gun to ensure each went “bang” and there was no binding. I loaded up about 16 undersized 38 super cases as a trial using same load data I’m using for 38 mid, and shot them with no issues as far as function or extraction goes. The bullets hit the target and they seemed to group, but I need t to do a lot more tinkering with the load and concept before I commit to shaving the OD on a bunch of 38super/9mm moon clips and running undersized 38 super brass in my 357mag S&W 627.

Edited by Bamboo

I use a 9x19 U die and Lee FCD. Have only fired a few Supers in it, never 9x21 or 9x23. I've been told .380 will also work but never tried it.

RJ, Bamboo & Ede, thanks for the input. Very interesting stuff.

I am biased towards fixing the gun to shoot the easier to get components and clips, rather than crying everytime I step on a $7 moonclip at a match. Easiest fix might be to just get a 625 again, but somehow I like the idea of having a very soft shooting 6" revolver.

Also, K-frames and L-frames can be had for as little as $100 over here, so it might be worth tinkering with.

Edited by spook

• 5 months later...

Yeah, resizing the tapered 9mm case (0.391”) to .38 special diameter (0.379”) and using them in a stock .357mag chamber doesn't work. However, resizing straight walled .38 super cases (0.384) with a .38 special/.357mag sizing die to achieve the 0.379" .38 special case diameter is possible.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Warning: Everything below is just some rambling information about my tinkering with 38super cases in my 627 and might bore you into a coma. You’ve been warned! ;)

I’ve been playing with.38 special cases cut down to about 0.900 (a.k.a 38 mid) in my 357magx8times S&W 627 and had the idea about just using .38 super cases since the .38 mid is basically replicating the .38 super case as far as length and capacity goes.

The .38 super case will size down and easily fit in the chambers of the 627 with no problem. If sizing used brass that has been bulged there may be a few that don’t fit after sizing, but most cases size down OK. The big issue is with the moon clips. The 38 special moon clips do not work with the .38 super case so you have to use .38 super/9mm moon clips. For the S&W 627 the outside diameter of the 38 super moon clip is about 0.050” larger than the 38 special moon clip and won’t fit in the stock .357magnum 627 cylinder recess. Other than the moon clip outside diameter issue they fit the .357 mag 627 just fine. The case head projection of the moonclipped cases from the back of the cylinder is nearly identical between the .38 super and .38 special. The .38 special is about .084” max (moonclip = 0.025, case rim = 0.059 per SAAMI), and the .38 Super is about 0.085” max (moonclip = 0.035, case rim = 0.050” per SAAMI).

So, using a disk sander I removed about 0.025” from the tip of each “star point” on a 38super/9mm moon clip and made sure the modified moon clip fit my 357mag 627 cylinder recess (took all of about 2 minutes). Then I sized some 38 supers using a 38special/357mag sizing die, primed the empty cases and ran them through the gun to ensure each went “bang” and there was no binding. I loaded up about 16 undersized 38 super cases as a trial using same load data I’m using for 38 mid, and shot them with no issues as far as function or extraction goes. The bullets hit the target and they seemed to group, but I need t to do a lot more tinkering with the load and concept before I commit to shaving the OD on a bunch of 38super/9mm moon clips and running undersized 38 super brass in my 357mag S&W 627.

I tried the same thing and the brass stuck in the cyl. It come out with a little effort but you sure wouldnt want to shoot it in a match, so is this common ?

My ADD kicked in tracking this tread.

I have a 686 that's cut for 9mm and 38 super. Tom at TKs will cut your cylinder and you should buy his moon clips. When running 9mm brass the is important. Starline and Winchester are the best. Its tight and right. I run 356. Bullets. I ran 15k rounds last year on this set up. I don't even change the setting for my bottom feeders.

Side note: TKs moon clips fit 9mm and 38 super brass

I hope that helps.