Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Durability question of SP-01

SmCaudata

I'm brand new into handgun shooting and loving it so far. I've been renting various guns and love the handling of the CZ. I actually shot an XD better, but trigger guard banged up my knuckle and it just didn't feel as good to shoot as the big steel SP-01.

Anyway, I've been looking to pick one up and came across someone selling one. My question is, assuming that a gun has been well maintained, where is 2k rounds in the life of the gun? I feel that it is low but wanted to check here.

I also wanted to post here as a new user. I've been doing a bunch of research and find myself back on these forums a lot.

Thanks

Not even close to the life of the barrel or the slide.

Buy with confidence.

If you're worried replace all of the springs and go shoot the thing until it turns into a molten pile of steel 65k-100k rounds later.

Most people are seeing an accuracy drop after 30-40k rounds.

I've got about 18,000 rounds through mine so far and have replaced the firing pin (found it was .008" shorter than it was originally) and spring, mainspring, plastic recoil rod and recoil spring and front fiber optic. It's still as accurate as it was new and shows little or no wear in the barrel or slide. I wouldn't worry about one with 2000 rounds through it at all.

meh, 2000 rounds is just run in! not even in need of a first service (springs etc).

I would say.

buy a spare slide stop. keep the one in it as the training/practice stop, put the new one in for matches and keep track of it's 'life'. at 5,000 rounds convert that one to practice, and buy a new one for matches.

it's worth changing recoil spring and mainspring somewhere around 5,000 to 10,000 and do the trigger return spring too if you are comfortable doing it. just prevantative maintenance and only costs a few bucks each time.

otherwise keep it clean and lubed and shoot it!

Thanks for that information. The guy is maybe not going to sell it now anyway.

I guess I have a different question then rather than starting a new topic.

What do you guys think of the 85 combat vs sp01?

I cannot find the 85 to shoot, but from what I read it would already have a short reset and it comes with adjustable sights. I feel like 16 round mags would be plenty for me and they r7n about the same cost. Is there a negative to the 85 combat that I'm missing?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The 85C frame sucks. No beavertail, no magwell bevel, no go.

Without the beavertail, the classic 75 series frames are uncomfortable to shoot. Without the magwell bevel, they are harder to reload.

Find yourself an SP01 and kit it out accordingly if you want to have the best of the best for under a grand.

2000 rounds would be bare minimum for "breaking" it in as a main go-to match gun.

The 85C frame sucks. No beavertail, no magwell bevel, no go.

Without the beavertail, the classic 75 series frames are uncomfortable to shoot. Without the magwell bevel, they are harder to reload.

Find yourself an SP01 and kit it out accordingly if you want to have the best of the best for under a grand.

This

I have 75's and SP01s. Yes, the 75/85 series have a much different feel in the hand. For me, the SP01 is easier to grip and bring back on target.

My 75 is from 1994 and has thousands of rounds through it. The SP01 is 3 years old and has about 7000 rounds through it. No problems.