gun at the other shooters). :ph34r:

"All the rules" is IDPA .... :sight:

Get a safe holster, some extra mags / holders/ muffs & eye

protection, and go shoot at your local range - just tell them

you're new at it. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I want to start uspsa stuff but I am overwhelmed with all the different rules

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

The hardest thing for me was wrapping my head around the 'hit factor' and percentage scoring system... XDMMaster sat me down and broke it down for me... Now I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that I haven't figured out yet

hit factor is simply how many points you earn per second. Then for scoring your hit factor is compared to whoever shot it best. This is a percentage. That percentage is multiplied by the number of points available on that stage. That number is your stage points. Ok sounds hard but break my description into 3 parts. Hit factor. Percentage. Stage points. Not as hard as it looks, is it?

I want to start USPSA but I am overwhelmed with all the different rules

Only one rule - don't break the 180 (don't turn around and point a loaded

gun at the other shooters). :ph34r:

"All the rules" is IDPA .... :sight:

Get a safe holster, some extra mags / holders/ muffs & eye

protection, and go shoot at your local range - just tell them

you're new at it. :cheers:

That's a bit simplified. You need to know the local range rules with respect to gun handling as well. For instance, often no ammo even on your body when you go to a safe table. Never handle your gun outside the safe area, except if you are the shooter and the RO has issues the "make ready" command.

The 180 rule is the MUZZLE of the gun must not break 180 degrees of down range. YOU can face everyone else, YOUR GUN cannot. That includes up at the sky and down at the ground.

Your finger needs to be out of the trigger guard unless you are actively engaging a target (ie out when running or reloading)

If in doubt, ask the RO. Tell them you're a newbie, and when you are at the starting line ask him/her "OK, please remind me when I can touch the gun and when I can draw, I'm a newbie, I don't want to DQ". ANd they will help you out.

I took a USPSA safety class held by one of the local ranges, this is the best thing to do. Take the class on Saturday, go shoot the match on Sunday.

For your first COUPLE of matches, forget the points, focus only on safety. In fact, walk the course, don't run it or you might accidentally break the 180. Forget points, just don't DQ and after a couple of times, then start to try and get faster.

If you go fast at first, you might DQ, and then you will be discouraged and might drop the sport. I've seen Master shooters DQ. Usually one guy at a match DQs, don't be that guy!

Then have fun! Don't sweat points and ranking. Get safe first and play so the safety rules get imbedded in your brain and are automatic.

So long as ammo is in magazines or an ammunition box you can have it at a safety table. I am too lazy to go get my rule book, but I guarantee you that is in there. If it wasn't you wouldn't be able to gun up from your bag if (like most of us) you use the same bag for ammo and your guns.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to be a member of USPSA and have at least four classifier courses on file. Not all matches will have a classifier stage (course) as part of the match. Possibly the matches you went to didn't have one. You can always look up your member number at www.uspsa.org to see if you have any classifiers on file.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-faq-details.php

To the OP - congrats on getting your initial classification! It is always a kick getting a new classification. I keep all of my cards pinned up in my little gun area along with some other mementos as a reminder of the fun times. :cheers:

Edited by Bamboo