Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

231 or autocomp for major with 200gr bayous

Mike21STI

I use HP38 in long load 180 gr xtremes... 5.3 grains 1.15 OAL..

Are you getting major pf on this load?

What PF are you achieving?

The reason I ask is because I use the same recipe, HP38, 180 gr CMJ projectiles 0.400 with an OAL 1.158 and I am actually using 5.4 gr and yet my pf is only 172. By the way, this is on an STI Edge

I intend to try 5.5 gr and hopefully that will give me around 175-ish pf to give me a margin of safety in a match chrono

Edited by jimbullet

I use HP38 in long load 180 gr xtremes... 5.3 grains 1.15 OAL..

Are you getting major pf on this load?

What PF are you achieving?

The reason I ask is because I use the same recipe, HP38, 180 gr CMJ projectiles 0.400 with an OAL 1.158 and I am actually using 5.4 gr and yet my pf is only 172. By the way, this is on an STI Edge

I intend to try 5.5 gr and hopefully that will give me around 175-ish pf to give me a margin of safety in a match chrono

5.4 grains gave me 179PF at area 6 and SC state sectional. 5.2 gave 163. 5.3 gives 169

The crimp is also at play here I use a light to medium crimp.

Now I live in WNC so when I Chronoed at home I got 170 but the drop in altitude gave me a 40-50 fps increase in ga and sc

The WW231 is a faster powder, which should feel "better" at the

same PF - less perceived recoil.

The WAC will also work, but you'd most likely prefer the WW231. :cheers:

Do you know how the recoil feels in comparison with titegroup or solo 1000?

I have used Autcomp and 200gr BBI Bullets and it's pretty rough in my opinion I will send you what I tried when I get home. Also Ramshot Competion is a great powder for 200gr Bullets thats all I shoot with my .40's.

Thanks, please send me the info. I appreciate it. I have heard of ramshot and it's on the top of my list. Unfortunately all powders that I need seem to be unobtainium. I should have found powder before I bought the 650 it's getting hungry. To gunbot.net I go... lol

I've completed tests today and the 5.5gr HP38 on 180gr projectiles with OAL 1.158 gave me a pf of 175. I think temperature also made a difference.

Shot first string at 7 degress, overcast and it gave me PF172, replicating a previous load using 5.4gr. A fluke? I got confused...

As the day went and temperatures stabilised at 9-10 degrees and after a few rounds through already, I re-checked and pf went up to 175

• 3 months later...

I just worked up a load with HP-38 (same as W231), Bear Creek 180gr bullet, out of 5" STI.

5.0gr HP-38

1.180" OAL

AVG = 950.6 FPS

STDEV = 5.9 FPS

PF = 171

Thanks for that.

I have stayed on with 5.5 gr for now with PF 175 to cover any fluctuations in various matches.