Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action longevity idea

earplug

I'm buying a electroless nickle plating kit and want to practice on some old parts first.

Anyone ever do a electroless nickle job on the extractor or cylinder on a 625? I'm guessing the process will help reduce wear on the extractor and maybe slick up extraction and reduce hassle of cleaning the lead on the cylinder.

I had a 2" M15 with electroless nickel bore and chambers. It worked out great! It's unlikely that the plating will cause a binding issue on the cylinder. If it does, it's easy to file or stone .001 off the end of the crane. I think electroless nickel is one of the most overlooked good plating options out there.

Edited by Toolguy

Don't know about Electroless Nickel, but the late Andy Cannon Hard Chromed the Lockparts on several revolvers he built--The theory was that it would result in reduced wear & extend the "Useful Life" of the parts--This was done primarily on heavily-used PPC guns, IIRC...HTH....mikey357

I had it done a long time ago to a 610 that Charlie Priest had done the action work on. It stayed smooth but it did gain a little bit of weight on the pull. Not much and when shooting fast it is not noticeable. Had the whole revolver done and it sure makes it easy to clean.

I've been considering sending out a hammer and trigger set for NP-3 coating. Anyone here play with that yet? It's electroless nickel with Teflon impregnated into it.

I had a 1911 frame done with NP3 at Robar, holds up good and does seem slick.