Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Secret to large magnum revolvers?

This isn't directly related to competition shooting but I am confident some of you will have good advice on this. I am interested in improving my skills with the big magnum revolvers (.454 casull, .460 s&w mag, .500 s&w mag). I have no problem with .44 mag, .357 mag, etc. but I was trying a Ruger Alaskan in .454 casull and just could not keep my support hand on the frame under recoil. I think part of the issue is the short barrel just makes it recoil very quickly, but I still want to know if there is some secret to handling it. Does it just require a white knuckle grip? Perhaps some Stickum?

I didn't notice a problem when I shot my Ruger Alaskan the first time, but I've trained my grip strength (for judo and shooting). I just gripped it till the sights started shaking then backed off til they stopped to determine how hard I was going to grip it.

Closest I've come to having an issue is with shooting 700 grain bullets out of my snubnose 500. In the video below you can see how it kind of torques out of my hand for an instant. Don't think there are any secrets though. The tighter your grip the less it will move. On the other hand I try to keep the rest of my body pretty loose so the recoil isn't as punishing. If you are going to be shooting all day you don't want your elbows and shoulders to start hurting.

And to get this back to competition shooting, large magnum revolvers are great for USPSA:

I've shot a fair bit of magnum handguns. I handload. When I get a newer and bigger cartridge I begin with starting loads and work my way up so I can get used to the gun. That said, I find some guns more comfortable than others. I still shoot a reduced load out of my 4" 629. The recoil on the 4" is much more severe than the 6" guns I've shot. My 454 is a scoped Ruger bisley with an 11" barrel. It's been comfortable with anything I've fed it. I've only shot a friend's 454 Alaskan with starting loads and found it very controllable with them. The big S&W 500 and 460 are very pleasant in the longer barrel lengths, but the muzzle blast from the 460 is brutal indoors.

You are right that grip strength is key, as is finding a good position for your support hand. Try to get the heel of the support hand firmly onto the portion of the grip left exposed by your shooting hand. Then squeeze with both hands.

For me it is important to alternate a revolver chambered in a smaller cartridge in with the big gun. This helps detect any flinch that develops.

And to get this back to competition shooting, large magnum revolvers are great for USPSA:

56hawk, still love this video of you leading the hand-held howitzer class. Impressive.

Shooting hand thumb is low against my middle finger, like I'm making a fist.

With the support hand it varies based on the size of the grip. If the grip is large enough so that I can get the heel of my support hand onto the grip I place it on top of the shooting hand thumb. Most full-sized revolvers allow this. It is opposite of the thumb position taught for auto pistols. With very small revolvers, like the j-frame I carry, I place the support thumb over the shooting hand behind the gun.

Edited by PatJones

I have nothing productive to add to this that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed one-gun's USPSA video with the 500 snubbie. The best part is about half way through the video where he is shooting through the port, and the blast coming out of the barrel to cylinder gap leaves the big black blast mark on the no-shoot target to the left! We compete because it is fun, and that looks like a BLAST! (pun intended) :)

Luv2rideWV, that was 56hawk and not me behind that cannon. I was just appreciating again, as I had when he originally posted that video, his gun handling and the large attachments he must possess in order to do so for an entire match.

You know, I think I might have figured the problem out and it might only be partially my fault. I went back and looked at the brass I kept and almost all the casings had split. These were factory loads so I assume they were in spec, but the cases were nickel. I have had the same problem of keeping my grip with 10mm (semi auto) before, specifically with nickel cases that also split. Switched to brass and tried slightly hotter loadings in the 10mm and shooting that was easy. I am guessing the same would be true to an extent with the .454 (probably not as easy however).

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

I have nothing productive to add to this that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed one-gun's USPSA video with the 500 snubbie. The best part is about half way through the video where he is shooting through the port, and the blast coming out of the barrel to cylinder gap leaves the big black blast mark on the no-shoot target to the left! We compete because it is fun, and that looks like a BLAST! (pun intended) :)

I think there should be a 'Dirty Harry' division. Shoot a magnum revolver, strong hand only, one shot to neutralize a target, all hits are As. If you run out of ammo you ask the target if it feels lucky.

Grip the X-frame guns lower to allow for a bigger moment arm in the recoil which will lessen the felt recoil by lengthening the time of energy absorption.

You'll have greater muzzle rise, obviously, but that isn't a negative with typical uber-caliber usage.

Jerry recommends the lower hold, I just expanded upon why I I believe it works.

http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html

Instead of all that force abruptly going into your hands because there's less give in your arms/hands with the bore aligned with your arms/wrists/hands, with a little bigger lever arm (distance from bore to your have) there's more give in your system and your hands don't perceive that full, abrupt force.

That's my theory anyway.

Edited by gr7070

I think there should be a 'Dirty Harry' division. Shoot a magnum revolver, strong hand only, one shot to neutralize a target, all hits are As. If you run out of ammo you ask the target if it feels lucky.

LOVE THE IDEA! The little guns in the Dirty Harry division would be the .44 Magnums.

Clint Eastwood confirmed it was a Model 29 that was used as the movie prop.

We run a special invitation-only big bore match in the winters around here...minimum is .44 Mag. Afterward we fight the chill with plenty of chili and whisky!