Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tandemkross Compensator for Ruger

T Bacus

I bought one of these off of E-Bay as I was looking for a comp that preforms better than the Tactical Solutions comp I have been using. The comp is well made and finished in a matte black anodize that matches well with the matte black finish of the Ruger 22/45 frame. The diameter of the comp was a perfect match to the diameter of my TacSol barrel.

I took it to the range and shot it to compare to the TacSol comp. Using CCI Mini Mags the gun had less impact in the hand as compared to the TacSol comp and dot movement was less. With the TacSol comp the dot appears to oscillate a little and the dot dips below the target before coming back up. With the T-K comp the dot movement was straight up and came back down and stopped right back on target.

For $31 I would call it a definite improvement over the TacSol comp.

For $9.99 I also bought their hammer bushing that has a built in spacer to eliminate the magazine safety. It dropped in with no problems.

39lo.jpg

xmse2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting. The bushing is certainly of interest. Comp might be for a rifle. What is the thread? What is outside diameter?

Thanks

Not a rifle comp, advertised by Tandemkross for the Ruger 22/45 and Tactical Solutions uppers. Outside diameter is .998, the same as the TS conversions and the 22/45 Lite barrels. The comp has the standard 1/2-28 threads. Since the standard diameter of a 10/22 rifle bull barrel is .920 this comp would fit on one pretty well although for the 10/22 I prefer the Allchin two port rifle comp.

Edited by T Bacus

• 2 weeks later...

I have an allchin on my buckmark and have a few observations. First, being aluminum, its very light. Second, those massive chambers are lead deposit graveyards. After about 5000 rounds through this gun, there must be enough lead in there to cast a couple rounds of 45 ACP thus negating the lightweight part of the comp design. Lastly, as for effectiveness, there is very little with normal or even "high" velocity (aka Mini Mags), however, it really works well with hyper velocity stuff like CCI Stingers or Aguila Super Maximum. This comp seems to really only direct gasses upwards to mitigate dot rise, not rearward recoil. Its evident when you shoot stingers compared to standard velocity in that there is very little dot rise but far more push in the hand with the hyper velocity stuff. Its very easy to discern these differences in my gun as its super light with an aluminum frame, 4" tacsol alum barrel and tiny Burris fastfire and reacts to nearly any change in forces. I dont know how the allchin stacks up against the competition, but i think as a rule, 22lr's are not inherently well suited to compensators with thier lack of gas volume.

The nice thing about any 22 comp is that it is very easy to compare performance. The simple screw on / screw off design allows for simple side by side comparisons. With the lack of recoil in all 22 pistols it's really the 'cleanliness' of the dot movement I'm looking for when comparing one comp to another. The less the vertical rise the better, the less the dot dips below it's starting point the better. Straight up and down movement is better than a dot that vibrates left and right a lot. With the very low recoil of the 22 it is easy to see all of this movement when comparing comps. Impact in the hand is really the least of my concerns, but there are minor differences there also.

The recoil is so low that all of them work to some extent, but side by side, some are better than others, at least a little bit. And with most 22 comps selling for $30 to $80 it's not a budget buster to try a bunch of them.

Edited by T Bacus

One thing I have learned spending a little bit of time around Chet from TacSol, Scott from Volquartsen, etc. the round you use and how the gun is set up will change what comp you may want to use. The window is so small and the recoil so light that all of the other little parts interact enough that, for top performance, you may want to get a few and check them out head to head. What works on one may or may not work the best on the other. What worked best on the 22/45 lite was not what worked best on the 22/45 bull barrel.

I have several Allchin, Tandemkross, TacSol and Volquartsen parts on my .22s now. All make great stuff.