Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Eye Protection

rtr

It appears there at least 2 standards for eye pro impact resistance MIL-PRF-31013 & ANSI Z87.1 , this video seems to indicate the MiL specification is better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZoLv-MMQTo

Further I am a bit confused about the optical clarity of the different materials lenses can be made of. So can anyone comment on what material/manufacturer/model will give me maximum safety along with maximum optical clarity (especially helpful when shooting precision rifle).

Glass on average will be way better than plastic for clarity but probably not for safety

I do not know what Rudy or others use- there are a variety of optical quality plastics but some like PMMA are used more commonly than others for things like lenses (for shooting glasses some other material might be the more common one)

Anyone have any first hand info between the Rudy's w/ race red lenses Or whatever the reddish/pinkish lenses are vs Oakley's w/ g30 lenses?

Yes, I have both. The rudy laser racing red is better. I will try to find a way to get a photo of each looking at my red fiber optic and post it here. IMO, better means the red fiber optic is brighter.

Anyone have any first hand info between the Rudy's w/ race red lenses Or whatever the reddish/pinkish lenses are vs Oakley's w/ g30 lenses?

Yes, I have both. The rudy laser racing red is better. I will try to find a way to get a photo of each looking at my red fiber optic and post it here. IMO, better means the red fiber optic is brighter.
That would be great if you can show both. I'm a long time Oakley user for sunglasses and am very happy with them. I recently bought a cheap pair of vermilion shooting glasses just to see the difference in picking up the front sight with with a red/pinkish lenses. Even with the cheap ones, it stands out much better than my normal glasses so I might spend some money on some good ones.

One thing that I really like about the Oakley's is the mframes. They give a wide view and offer a little more protection than most glasses.

Even with the cheap glasses, it seems like I can see the scoring zones and more detail on the steel as well as pick up my front sight better.

Edited by shel6977

That would be great if you can show both. I'm a long time Oakley user for sunglasses and am very happy with them. I recently bought a cheap pair of vermilion shooting glasses just to see the difference in picking up the front sight with with a red/pinkish lenses. Even with the cheap ones, it stands out much better than my normal glasses so I might spend some money on some good ones.

One thing that I really like about the Oakley's is the mframes. They give a wide view and offer a little more protection than most glasses.

Even with the cheap glasses, it seems like I can see the scoring zones and more detail on the steel as well as pick up my front sight better.

I swear there is a difference, although minor, there is. However, looking at it through the camera, you can't see it. Since I've promised to take the photos, here they are. Laugh all you want at my attempt.

Oakley G30

IMG_9748_zps388bdd90.jpg

Rudy Laser Racing Red

IMG_9749_zps476a7b4b.jpg

video of both, the Oakley is the top lenses, the Rudy is the bottom lenses

th_MVI_9753_zpsd6f8abe1.jpg

Edited by Butterpuc

I swear there is a difference, although minor, there is. However, looking at it through the camera, you can't see it. Since I've promised to take the photos, here they are. Laugh all you want at my attempt.

Oakley G30

IMG_9748_zps388bdd90.jpg

Rudy Laser Racing Red

IMG_9749_zps476a7b4b.jpg

video of both, the Oakley is the top lenses, the Rudy is the bottom lenses

th_MVI_9753_zpsd6f8abe1.jpg

Thanks for the video and pictures. Honestly, I can't really see a difference between the two but I'm sure there is in person. I'm still kind of up in the air between the two.

I agree I cant see it on the photo or video, but it really isn't much anyway, just enough for me to know I like the Rudy lense better. I love my Oakley Flak Jackets but the ventalation isn't as good, they ride very close to my face.

I guess I'm not high speed low drag enough to justify dropping almost $300 on safety glasses. I do wear prescription lenses and bi- focal contact lenses so I realize how expensive eyewear can be.

Issue is, I'm hard on glasses of any kind. Prescription or otherwise.

I'm more inclined to buy something I won't cry over if they get slung off my face or stomped and scratched or sat on or chewed by the dog.

I guess I'm not high speed low drag enough to justify dropping almost $300 on safety glasses. I do wear prescription lenses and bi- focal contact lenses so I realize how expensive eyewear can be.

I'm more inclined to buy something I won't cry over if they get slung off my face or stomped and scratched or sat on or chewed by the dog.

I'm not nearly good enough to justify that kind of money either but a pair of Oakley g30 lenses cost $60 for my current pair of sunglasses and just swap the lenses out.

I'm not nearly good enough to justify that kind of money either but a pair of Oakley g30 lenses cost $60 for my current pair of sunglasses and just swap the lenses out.

I may give Oakley another look.

Everything I've tried from Oakley hurt my head.