Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P18 for multigun?

ski_dog

The Dawson base pads fit on the new Pro Custom 9 mags. The Mecgar mags are too short for the new Pro Custom, and the old Canadian 20 round mags don't work either in the new pistol. Unfortunately we just have to wait until Para releases them.

The base pads fit just fine on the Canadian mags, as those are the ones Dawson originally made them for. They aren't long enough to latch in place in the pro custom. I dropped my pistol at the gunsmith today for a little bit of work. Should have it back in a week. I told him I am not in a hurry, since bow season has taken my attention off of multi gun at this point of the year.

Still looking for information on possible magazines that will work with the new P18-9. Called Para and of course they won't sell magazines. They say they have to catch up with production. Shooting matches with only two mags is a challenge. A buddy of mine tried a STI magazine he said it fit and fed just fine. However, he could not get the magazine to come back out and had to tap it out with a wooden dowel rod. Any thoughts?

I'm the "buddy". STI's would take allot of material removal on either the magazine or magwell, in MHO too much. The STI mag took me about half an hour to remove, saying it was wedged is an understatement.

I did find a roundabout way to get an extra mag. Mecgar manufactures the mags for the new 18-9 customs but will not release any to the public until Para's initial production run is complete. The 20 round Mecgar extended mags for the original 18-9 will work in the 18-9 custom but they are about 1/4 to short because of mag well on the customs. I had a guy I work with cut one of the 20 round 18-9 mags and weld a 1/4 extension onto it. Just got it today and it seems to fit and function really well.

Between the welding and the cost of the mag I have about 100 bucks in it..... Its only money, right?

I picked up my new Pro Custom 18.9 today and played with the mags some. STI 9mm 140mm mags fit perfect, although just a bit long in the bottom. They actually feed dummy round better than the Para mags do. I have a STI 9mm 126mm mag and it fits very tight, but my 126mm 40cal mags fit great. The Dawson +1 Para pads fit the magwell on the stock tubes with no issues as well as the Dawson .200 aluminum base pads. I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow and actually get some rounds thru it. Stay tuned!!!

No problems with mags at the range. Feeds 124gr Federal Eagle and my reloads equally well. Used both the STI 140's and stock Para mags for about 200 rounds. Had some extraction issues after awhile. but it appears the extractor is way too loose. The STI 140 mags are the way to go for 3Gun as I'm getting 21 in them with the Dawson pads. A stock 126mm fits and is flush with the bottom of the magwell, but my 9mm mag is tight around the mag catch area. All my STI 126 .40 mags that I use in my 16.40 fit great and drop easily. Gonna order another 126 9mm mag and try to fit the one I have.

After tightening the extractor, it went the other way and would jam just as the rim of the case slid under the extractor. I had it way too tight and loosened it back up. It runs very well now. I did notice while I had it apart that it appears Para no longer uses the PXT hole in the frame. I compared the extractor in the gun to the oversized one that EGW sells for the PXT hole That I have here for another pistol. . The Pro Custom one looks just like a regular 1911 part. I'm going to order an Aftec extractor and see if it will work in the 18.9. I had an Aftec in my FGW 5.5 and it worked flawlessly.

Edited by Marv Z

No problems with mags at the range. Feeds 124gr Federal Eagle and my reloads equally well. Used both the STI 140's and stock Para mags for about 200 rounds. Had some extraction issues after awhile. but it appears the extractor is way too loose. The STI 140 mags are the way to go for 3Gun as I'm getting 21 in them with the Dawson pads. A stock 126mm fits and is flush with the bottom of the magwell, but my 9mm mag is tight around the mag catch area. All my STI 126 .40 mags that I use in my 16.40 fit great and drop easily. Gonna order another 126 9mm mag and try to fit the one I have.

Can I get some specs on your 140mm mag? What floor-plate, follower and spring are you using?

No sweat, didn't take it that way. I use the Dawson 9mm +1 base pad kit that comes with the follower and plastic spacer. trim to fit the 140 mm tubes. I just got three new Para mags from the pro shop and they are identical to the mags that came with the gun. Still having extraction issues with the extractor being too tight now. Runs new ammo fine, but will not lock up on reloads. They must be a little larger around the rim after firing. Going to try to fit an Aftec extractor as I called Para and they claim it's a regular 1911 Series 80 part. Will convert to series 70 with the shim by the trigger group. I have done this with my other Paras and it really helps the trigger feel.

Edited by Marv Z

• 2 weeks later...

I got my P18 on letterhead in 1999 when they only were available to LE. I used it for IDPA and then 3 Gun. Mine isn't finicky about ammo at all and the only time I have a malfunction is when I try to shove too many rounds in the mag. The Arrendondo insert gets jammed up into the spring and prevents the rounds from feeding up from the mag. Other than that, it's been great. Lots of rounds through it, accurate, and soft shooting.

I had a frame built into an open gun back in the mid 90s and had several mags that were for 38 Super. None of them would work in the P18 and reliably feed 9mm. Even loaded long. I could use the mags that came with the P18 in the open gun with 38 Super and they would work. I put a mike and caliper to them and really couldn't find but a few thousands difference in the mags. Perhaps the pistol frames themselves were different enough to make the difference. I have spoken to some who specialized in Paras and they said they could use the 38 Super mags in 9mm but some required a bit of tuning.

About 2005, I had the open gun rebarreled to 9mm and use the P18 mags exclusively in both guns.

Craig

I have the Aftec in it now and will leave it in. I did find it's rather short in the barrel throat as my 125gr Zero Hp's won't work at 1.125. Stock round nose runs great as well as MG 124 RN at 1.115. Now I need to figure out if it fits in the IDPA box. I've been toying with the idea of shooting it at the state match in two weeks. I think the mag base pads look way too long