Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CA Single Shot Exemption

kneelingatlas

So now we have gigglemonkee and kneelingatlas with the parts to expedite the SSE process, is that correct?

Good news if so. With the clock ticking down on SSE, we'll need all the throughput we can get!

kneelingatlas set me up with a SSE kit last fall - it's been busy here SF Bay Area!

For myself and a few others at least 8 CZs with it, one in progress now, and 2 more coming soon. And there is an FFL or two in the area that have their own setups as well.

Edited by trgt

Can somebody explain what this is about? I assume something to comply with CA laws.

"The 'single shot exemption' or 'SSE' is an exception to California's Roster of Handguns. Guns in the SSE configuration may be sold in California, regardless of whether they are on the Roster."

Lots of stuff here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692

Can somebody explain what this is about? I assume something to comply with CA laws.

Like gigglemonkee said, it's to comply with a particular set of laws here in CA. The issue is that the idiots in our legislature view this as an evil "loophole", so they're going to outlaw it as of Dec 31st of this year. Get 'em while you can...otherwise you'll be waiting for Pena to be heard by the Supreme Court, and they don't seem to be in the mood to hear 2nd Amendment cases nowadays.

shit, that doesn't bode well for CA handgun enthusiats. interesting that in 2009 only 1100 SSE's were done but 18,000 done last year!!! no wonder they woke up to the loop hole and are not closing it down. :(

still, I guess there are plenty of them already in CA, just means no more new stuff.... until perhaps it gets changed back in line with most other states.

Has anybody just ordered the CA listed one from the custom shop and had them do all the Shadow work on it before shipping it? The shadow is quite a step up in price from what I was thinking a week ago on a full size 9, but I'm starting to lean towards it and have never seen one local, the couple shops that do SSE in the area I don't think do the CZs. Just thought there might be another way. The closest I can even get to finding out how it shoots is the local range has one for rent in the 40s&w variant. not quite apples to apples.

If this were my bachelor/pre-kid days I'd probably be doing one a month too, local shop has an xdm 9 comp. right now they'll SSE. Alas, 1 or 2 a year now a days :)

Red

Has anybody just ordered the CA listed one from the custom shop and had them do all the Shadow work on it before shipping it? The shadow is quite a step up in price from what I was thinking a week ago on a full size 9, but I'm starting to lean towards it and have never seen one local, the couple shops that do SSE in the area I don't think do the CZs. Just thought there might be another way. The closest I can even get to finding out how it shoots is the local range has one for rent in the 40s&w variant. not quite apples to apples.

If this were my bachelor/pre-kid days I'd probably be doing one a month too, local shop has an xdm 9 comp. right now they'll SSE. Alas, 1 or 2 a year now a days :)

Red

I'm sure you could do that, but the CA roster gun is basically special factory SKU with 10 round magazines from factory - it'd just be a matter of them having that SKU in stock, which I haven't seen in awhile. I think what most have done lately is order whatever they have in stock, request work beyond that before they ship, request swap to 10 rounds mags, then ship to a CA FFL that will SSE it.

This isn't an issue for tactical sport, btw, because that model is just listed by name on roster, not SKU, so anything with Tactical sport should be OK at least for gun (still need 10 round mags), but check your FFL first