Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What ammo for .308 Heavy Metal?

MickB

I load for a multitude of guns, [FAL, M1A, 2 AR pattern 308's] and I have found the most accurate loads are the 155's moving as fast as I can push them. I backed off a bit when I started getting case head separations in the M1A, but my groups were getting tighter. For Factory stuff I like the Freedom 155's.

For Recoil mitigation, the better brake you have, the happier you will be. The good thing is North of 2800 with 155's you have plenty of gas to work with, so put some research into your brake. I have most of my guns tuned to a straight back recoil impulse [slight downward on a rest] and I have just gotten used to it [been shooting Heavy Metal since before it was a class, back when they were still SOF matches].

Like my brother said, the hornady 150gr fmj at $22-23 a 100ct is hard to beat. I run 'em right under 2500fps an get around 1 inch group at 100yds and have no problem hitting steel out to 500M. The reason I use the 150's is cuz you can always find'em, i tried the 110vmax (very good) an 125's but they can be hard to find an pricey at times.