Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ for competition

Racingsnake

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and new to sport shooting.

I see that striker fired pistols like Glock and S&W are very popular in IDPA's SSP class but in IPSC the special competition guns and certain CZ models are very popular.

I want to use a CZ75 for IDPA because I owned one before and I think the extra weight over a polymer gun may help recoil recovery.

I know the two sports are very different but I was wondering why one does not see more CZs on the line in IDPA.

Are these just my limited observations or do you think the CZ will be good for ESP competition in IDPA?

Best regards, Racingsnake

Edited by Racingsnake

Until recently, the most popular competition CZ's (Shadow's) were virtually illegal in idpa.

It was difficult to get them down to the weight limit.

idpa changed the weight limit, problem solved. You'll see more and more CZ's in matches now.

It's only recently that the SP01 Shadow makes weight in SSP out of the box. The full-length dustcover knocked it out of making ESP directly.

The DA first shot is a drawback. IDPA courses of fire are shorter and tend to be easier than USPSA ones, so there's not as much opportunity to put the sweet SA trigger and heavier frame to use after contending with the DA first shot. By more difficult, I mean that an IDPA CoF wont ask you to shoot a plate rack at 20 yards—that's where I think the weight really helps.

Plus, everyone knows that shooting a CZ will get you killed on the street :)

What Antichrome said.

I think the current surge is based on the "forbidden fruit" suddenly becoming available. If it used to be illegal for competition, it must be better right? Now I personally agree that it is better but no doubt you will hear and read more people talk about it now that they can have it.

1st shot DA is a drawback unless you upgrade the hammer and spring, eg CZC upgrades IMO. Even then it takes practice for the transition. I shot my 2nd IDPA SSP match today, first with my SP-01 tuned by CZC. I struggled with first shots only because I haven't practiced DA. Sure I will improve as I go, and practice.

Edited by JLeeCZ

At the CA State IDPA championships a couple of years ago one of the stages was a single headshot at 20 yards limited vickers. Glad I decided to shoot ESP that year. Those are some of the tough IDPA stages you get to look forward to if you are shooting SSP with a DA pistol.

Do you guys recommend CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works?

Which parts would you suggest working on?

The reason I'm asking is I'm travelling to the US shortly so it's my only chance to pick up a few items that will improve the gun.

My intention is just to shoot IDPA ESP. I have no plans to shoot IPSC.

Best regards, Racingsnake

From what I have heard/read you can't go

Wrong with either. Both are great, and both have good customer service.

I have only had dealings with CZC and Stuart took care of all my questions and even pulled my order for me before I could even pay for it. He also helped with a special request I had without blinking an eye.

I shoot a modded CZ75 SP01 in IDPA SSP. If you practice the DA first shot it isn't much of a disadvantage to me at least. The last match I did two stages the first shot was a steel target that activated one or two swingers/flip up targets. I watched multiple people in my squad have trouble (one was shooting a 1911) and miss the steel repeatedly. I hit both first shot in DA without any problem. I do practice DA shots as well as shoot a number of my revolvers with heavier DA trigger pulls.

I choose to make my gun IDPA SSP/ESP and USPSA Production legal so I choose mostly CGW parts in combination with a CZ Custom Comp hammer and did all the polishing and parts install myself. I now have a nice and crisp 6.5lb DA and 3 lb SA trigger pulls.