Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Powders / Bullet Combo

Combat

Hi Guys,

I'm new here but saw some good answers on the forums and I'm looking for answers!!

I'm a long time re-loader for many calibers including 9mm but my kid wants to start competition shooting with a 9mm and now my Dad is asking me for 9mm ammo so I need to load in bulk and I have a few questions.

I'm looking for a good low cost but all around 9mm load for IPSC, IDPA and plinking.

As an example, I load 45 ACP for friends and family members and found a load that covers most applications: 200 gr, Hard cast LSWC .45 H&G #68 style - originally using Win 231 but switched to Clays 10 years ago. This load works in almost every modern 45 (including 1911's), it's cheap to reload, super accurate (Sub 2 inch groups in many guns is common) and low smoke.

I used to really like 231 but went to Clays because it's way less smoke. Also, I want to use lead bullets but since my carry gun is a P7M8 (that I will start shooting more, also), I was told plated bullets are a better choice. Keep in mind, I load for everyone and give half my ammo away, so affordable is important.

My carry load in the P7 are 115 JHP, so I prefer staying with a 115gr. bullet weight or maybe a compromise of 124gr. But if everyone thinks I should be using 147gr for reloading - so be it.

What Bullet / Powder Recommendations??? HELP - I need to buy a bunch of supplies and get busy loading!!

Sean

This may not help, but here is my current 9mm minor load for a CZ. Its dirty, but seems soft to shoot. A little smokey, but not as bad as any wax lubed bullets.

135gr Hi-tek coated BBI, 1.11oal, 3.7gr HP-38 giving me 132pf.

Good luck.

The most affordable 9mm load for me is 147gr Blue bullets under 3.4gr of IMR-PB (mixed range pickup brass). I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm loading up tons of 9mm for my daughter who will easily blow through 500 rds in a weekend (more if I let her). Don't get me wrong, I love thae fact that she's into shooting as I am but it can get a little pricey keeping her in ammo.

Plated bullets are easier, cleaner to load but are much more expensive than Blue Bullets or other brands of coated bullets.

If it were me I would probably go with a 124 coated bullet like a bayou. They are much cleaner than bare lead but not quite as clean as plated. If you buy in case quantities they are priced attractively (as attractively as anything is these days). In my experience they work well with both conventional and polygonal rifling. While I like the clays/147 gr combo myself there is not a lot of published data on it which may not be great if you are giving ammo away. Also, the 147gr. bullets are slightly more expensive. I am assuming you already have a supply of clays that you can use. If you don't it will be hard if not impossible to find. However, Claydot from Alliant is supposed to be a near direct replacement and you may be able to find that. You should of course work the load up again if using clay dot.

Like BBBB said, the new coated bullets of the 124grn variety from any of several suppliers would be a good bet. As to Clays, I have no recommendations for 9mm, it being a bit on the zippy side for 9mm in my opinion. I have lately used some e3 in some testing and it is listed as fast too, but seems to work ok at about 3.6-3.8grns with 124grn bullets at various OALs in most guns depending on what your chamber will take. If Clays is all you have work up carefully and modestly as always.

This is the load I use for USPSA Minor:

Montana Gold 124gr CMJ

4.5gr HP-38/Win 231

CCI #500 SPP

COL - 1.140"

Mixed Brass

Velocity - ~1,050-1,100fps (~132-135 PF)

I would HIGHLY recommend HP-38 for your powder choice, it's cheap compared to other powders and I have no issues with it being dirty or smokey. As for bullets, to stay on the cheap side, I would probably go with lead, plated, or coated (Bayou or BBI). Precision Delta and Montana Gold have gotten really expensive, so I'll probably try BBI next.

Also, just to throw this out there, I would argue that the vast majority of competition shooters are using 124gr for 9mm. Some run 115's, a lot run 147's, and there's a few that run the odd-ball weights.

Edited by polizei1

Thanks for all the help.

I had hoarded powder and primers years ago and recently started running low. I knew about the shortages, but I had no idea it was this bad.

I have about 4lbs of Clays left but after reading the shortage and trying to find it - I'll save that for my 45 load. I have a lot of 231 and since I also prefer CCI primers I'm going to give Cody's load a try.

Thanks for the help!!

Sean

The most affordable 9mm load for me is 147gr Blue bullets under 3.4gr of IMR-PB (mixed range pickup brass). I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm loading up tons of 9mm for my daughter who will easily blow through 500 rds in a weekend (more if I let her). Don't get me wrong, I love thae fact that she's into shooting as I am but it can get a little pricey keeping her in ammo.

Plated bullets are easier, cleaner to load but are much more expensive than Blue Bullets or other brands of coated bullets.

I've been reloading for about six months now. I used some Bayou Bullets but ended up sticking with Precision Bullets 9mm 125-FP. I've been using IMR-PB and found that Precision Bullets had a little more velocity than the Bayou's. Maybe it's because the Precision Bullets are concave on the end...???? Since I was having to push the load high to make power factor I decided to stick with them. Although I do like the Bayou's. They are a good company and have good prices. Also, the bullets are beveled a bit and are easy to place in the mouth of the case. I will use them again soon.

I also shoot about 500/wk, so cost is the most important thing for me.

I love the PB. I pour it in my Dillon 650 and usually get 3.9gr on the first cycle.

Haven't seen any pistol powder online. If it doesn't come back soon I'll be out of business.

One note: because the precision bullets have flat sides I had to push them down in the case to about 1.085 OAL to get them to pass the plunk test in the barrel of my XDM 5.25. With the right primers this load works flawlessly in my gun.

Edited by Just4FunLP