Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which hand to release slide?

igolfat8

power stroke with the left hand

Is that where you pull the slide back and let it go? If so then that's way too much effort and it's more likely to introduce problems than just using the slide stop..... It's a lot slower too.

If you can reach it without completely destroying your strong hand grip, I believe that is the best way to do it, personally.

Just practice it a good bit, as dropping the slide on an empty chamber and THEN getting the mag in is not good. That's why I know some trainers recommend using the weak hand thumb to use the slide release after inserting the mag. There's no way to accidentally close the slide on an empty chamber.

That said, I definitely think the strong hand thumb is the fastest way to complete a slidelock reload.

I have tiny hands so many guns' slide releases are way too far away for me to use my strong hand thumb even if I break my grip.

If it works for you, keep doing it. :)

I have short-ish phalanges, so I have a hard time reaching the slide stop with my right (strong hand) thumb. Heck, I have to tweak my grip a little to reach the mag release. So I've taken to doing slide releases with my support (left) hand thumb. It "seems" quicker than either using my strong hand thumb or slingshotting, but I've never done it against a timer.

power stroke with the left hand

Exactly.

The correct name for that part is "slide stop" not "slide release" Best tactic is don't run the gun dry and always use the off-hand to correct a stoppage or malfunction. ie., reload, FTE, FTF, etc.

Some extremely serious three-gun shooters modify their pistols to never lock back to avoid an inadvertant lock-back malfunction.

If you use that part for a "slide release" on a Glock you will eventually have a slide that will never lock back. :cheers:

Edited by reptoid

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I try to use my strong hand thumb simultaneously with seating the mag. When I get it right it looks automated.

When you get it wrong you lose 1 second :) I often release slide too soon and have to click no bang then rack slide. Happens more often in matches :bow: