Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Stop Pin Diameter

bountyhunter

Maybe a dumb question? I don't own a Colt "government" model so I don't know the differences between it and a standard 1911. Somebody told me with great assurance that the government model uses a different slide stop than the standard 1911, and the cross pin diameter of the government slide stop is .175" not the .200" used on every 1911 slide stop I have ever seen on earth.

Just curious: are there 1911's using slide stops with a cross pin whose diameter is 0.175"?

thanks

Here's the deal: I was thinking of putting a red dot on my STI Trojan and saw this ad:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arms-Gear-Gunsmithing-Government/dp/B005ODCUVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398296638&sr=8-1&keywords=1911+scope+mount

Convenient, doesn't require any mods. But several of the reviews complained that the cross pin/slide stop supplied to work with the mount was 0.175" diameter which is obviously way too small. One guy said his gun starting "locking up" which sounds like the barrel lugs were out of time.

Anyway, I called to ask if they had the correct 0.2000" diameter pin available and the guy told me that it is only for "government and clones" and that they use a smaller diameter slide stop pin.

I think he's making it up as he goes along...... somebody just used the wrong size pin and don't want to change it.

The problem according to a user:

"On disassembling the mount from my 1911 I found that UAG had supplied a *radically* undersized cross pin (i.e., the pin that keeps the barrel link, frame, and the slide stop together and pivoting with this scope mount, and replaces your stock slide stop lever). Indeed, the UAG cross pin diameter is 0.175", instead of the Colt 1911 standard of 0.200" (give or take).

Why UAG would do this I am completely baffled, as their unit fits like a glove and is one of the best non-gunsmithing mounts I have ever seen for a 1911; but without the proper sized cross pin, no 1911 (that I know of) will operate properly."

Another guy same complaint:

"As the prior reviewer noted, the slide stop pin measured .175". The specs for the 1911A1 call for a nominal size of .200" and, as a practical matter, the recommended size is around .197" or .198". My stock slide stop pin measured .198". The rails on the bottom of the barrel ride lightly on top of the slide stop pin as it slides forward into battery and .025" undersized is .025" too small. With astonishing luck, I found a small piece of hardened rod stock in the basement that measured .198". I threaded both ends to fit the threads in the mount and cut them a little long to accept a small locknut on either side. Since the slide stop pin is now just a pin, threaded on both ends and screwed into the mount, I needed a way to remove it. I slotted both ends for a flat head screwdriver, rounded and polished both ends and blued the pin and both locknuts."

This.

Slidestop1911.jpg

I actually sent the guy this image (from my Kuhnhausen manual) and he claimed the "government frame" is smaller than the full size and uses a pin with smaller diameter.

I thought it was BS but wanted other opinions.

post-271-0-45897200-1398741388_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter

Bountyhunter,

I believe he is in error. I have Colt 1911 Gov. Models from the early '50's, '70 series, and '80 series. They all have .198 pins . From when I started shooting Bullseye in 1974, the standard pin dia. has been .198. We used .200 pins to take up the slack in worn pistols. They would lock up a little tighter that way.---JWB

Yeah, I prety much assumed they were blowing smoke but I hesitate to call the guy a bozo on the off chance somebody made a non-standard 1911 that I never heard of. he kept saying that the "government" model is different (smaller) and that's why it uses a smaller pin. Total BS. Here is one of the replies:

"Sir, If you look at the ad the item is only for the government frame models and clones of the government frame model."

Basically, they just have the wrong size part in it.

Edited by bountyhunter