Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salt Shaker

I have 5 mags pretty much all doing the same thing.

K40

Grams Followers that have seen 2000-3000 rounds.

Grams Springs 500 rounds.

Henning H141 Base Pads.

Load to 19 rounds. Flick out round 19 and 18. 17 is not rising to the top without shaking it.

Cleaned the inside of the bodies and even tried dry lube. Thoughts?

When the grams followers get worn out they have excessive friction inside the magazine and it causes a slow registration of the next round. I use silicone spray to lube up the insides of my magazine tubes and followers to minimize the friction between the follower and the inside of the magazine body. Or you can replace the followers with new ones frequently and not use lube.

I have found that on the Grams followers, once the sharp edges on the sides of the follower get rounded off they start having too much friction on the inside of the magazine and it causes a lazy or slow registration of the next round. You can lube the inside of the magazine and follower with a silicone spray or dry lube, but that only works for so long before the rounded corners get bad enough that even lube does not eliminate the issue. I switched from using Grams followers over the to Taran Tactical SVI flowers and they seem to last a lot longer than the Grams followers. But eventually they all get worn out and need replaced. I usually replace all of my followers proactively once a year and I normally use 10 magazines for shooting matches. If I drop a magazine in the dirt during a stage run, I decommission the magazine until I get back home so I can clean it, inspect it then lube it back up with silicone spray.

That follower is the correct profile, but its taller than the ones I use. I order my followers from Power Factor Shooting and listed a link to it below. I request the "Short" version of this follower.

http://www.powerfactorshooting.com/Bolen_follower_for_STI_SVI_SPS_magazine_tubes_p/bolen-follower.htm

After Action Report..........

Well I broke the cardinal rule of troubleshooting and tried a bunch of stuff at once so now I don't know exactly what fixed it. But hey Im stoked its fixed. I have Area1 coming up so I was in a mad dash for a solution.

I spoke with Grams from Grams Engineering, Nealio, and you folks here. What I believe I was experiencing was excessive friction on the Bullet/followers hitting the side walls of the mag well. I haven't really had this issue in 10K rounds so Im assuming this issue surfaced for me due to how hard I am on my mags and the life of the mag body.

I went to the Lee U Die to get a more uniform side wall, Simple Green cleaned my mag bodies, and then followed it up with a cleaning with CLP. CLP will leave a lubrication layer as well as help knock down additional dirt. Went to the range and the spring tension actually felt better manually tossing rounds out of the mag. The gun has has close to a 1000 rounds through it since last cleaning so this was a true test of will it run. For giggles I loaded back to 1.14 when I was loading to 1.13 before.

Prior to this I tried Dry Lube, New springs, and a little sanding on the follower. The followers were in pretty great shape so I didn't think that was the issue after some comparison to new ones.