Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Credit Card Fraud

michael_aos

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
Back in September, some unauthorized charges showed up on my credit-card bill.

HTTP://WWW.SKYPE.NET INTERNET GBR

HTTP://WWW.SKYPE.NET INTERNET GBR

YAH*YAHOO MAIL 408-349-5151 CA

1ST CLASS SOFTWARE MISSISSAUGA CAN

WWW.SHAREITINFO.COM COLOGNE DEU

PROXYCONN8005053387 IRVINE CA

2CO.COM 877-294-0273 OH

Now, beginning on 12/23, there are several unauthorized charges on an entirely different card.

Paypal

MP3.com

iBills.com

Yahoo Wallet

SWSELL

ePayment

Google Answers

I just can't figure out where they're getting my numbers!  I was thinking maybe a site I purchased something from was hacked, but I hadn't even used the first card in months.  My recent purchases on this card were:

Brassman Brass

BrianEnos.com

Powder Valley

Midway USA

Sportsmans Guide

Lowes

Brigade Quartermasters

TiVO

Mike

yo i have the same cargers onf my card to

• 2 weeks later...

Working on getting my dispute resolved. Found out there is a difference between an "unauthorized charge" and a "fraudulent charge". There are two different departments (at MBNA) one for, disputed/unauthorized charges and one for fraudulent charges. Was told of a timeline policy between VISA and MBNA for disputed charges but they were not able to send me anything in writing :blink:

So they cancelled my dispute and put the charges back on.

The fraud department was very nice and seemingly helpful, will find out in the next billing cycle or two.

Here is a little bit of information in case a fraudulent charge is reflected on your credit report. The credit report will have a section on the back to dispute a negative entry. Just fill out the form and indicate you do not agree with the negative entry and your records DO NOT reflect it either. The credit company has 30 days (by Law) to either substantiate the entry or remove it. Most of the time its easier for them to remove the negative entry than it is to do the research.

I am taking an Identity theft class all this week and have learned some amazing things. Basically what we (Law Enforcement) have been told is this;

1. Do not use ATM or cash cards, instead use credit cards. Thiefs using skimmers can copy the acct #'s of ATM and bank cards and access and drain your entire account, but not with credit cards.

2. Place a fraud alert on your credit. Do this by calling the 3 major credit companies.

3. Order copies of your credit report yearly

4. Buy a shredded and shred all your bill stubs and other papers.

5. Carry as little ID on you as possible, memorize your SSN #, and do not carry the card around.

and do not give telemarketers ANY information over the phone. Believe it or not, lots of the people calling you are incacerated in PRISON. Yes its true..

Sac law Man,

what is a skimmer and how would it be used?

thanks

A skimmer is a reader to get the data from the mag stripe. In some sense, the info presented is backwards - a credit card can be used without a PIN, but a bank debit card or ATM generally requires a PIN. Unless you enter the pin when skimmed the chances theaskimming a bank.debit is enough to nail you is slim, whereas a credit card skimmer has pretty much everything he needs.

Of more importance are the consumer protection laws for the kind of transaction and card you have - for example, credit cards and debit cards are subject to different fraud liability rules.

What is scarier is the on-line banking contract terms, which generally include a clause such as "you agree that any transaction made with your account and password is considered authorized by you." Bank of America tried to use this to clause to delare $90K of fradulent wire transfers from a customer's account to a European bank as "authorized", despite the fact that forensic examination determined his home PC had been compromised with a keystroke logger. BoA lost on that one, but one can only imagine what percent of the loss when to the attorney to take on the bank.

Rob pretty much described what a skimmer is. Its basically a credit card reader. They come in many different sizes and types. One method thieves use is to place skimmers over the existing card slots in ATM's and then place a hidden camera nearby so they can video your P.I.N. numbers. They will also carry the skimmer in their pockets or have one that looks like a pager. But thieves are now using a new much less sophisticated method to obtain your credit card number..cell phone camera's. Think about this..next time you are out for dinner and give the waiter/waitress your credit card to pay for dinner,,what stops them froim taking a picture of the front and back of your credit card with their phone..only takes them 6 seconds to click both sides..its already happening..

Rob pretty much described what a skimmer is.  Its basically a credit card reader.  They come in many different sizes and types.  One method thieves use is to place skimmers over the existing card slots in ATM's and then place a hidden camera nearby so they can video your P.I.N. numbers.    They will also carry the skimmer in their pockets or have one that looks like a pager.  But thieves are now using a new much less sophisticated method to obtain your credit card number..cell phone camera's.  Think about this..next time you are out for dinner and give the waiter/waitress your credit card to pay for dinner,,what stops them froim taking a picture of the front and back of your credit card with their phone..only takes them 6 seconds to click both sides..its already happening..

It is generally a good idea to scrape the printed (not embozzed) CCV2 value off the back of your card if your issuer prints it on the signature panel. The is the 3 digit secondary number (4 for Amex, I think) used to provide additional validation you have the card in you posession when mail/internet ordering, as it does not print when run through the old fashioned machines (and I don't think it's on the mag stripe, but I'm not sure). The only reason we don't use CVV2 validation on the USPSA site is that we are not likley to be a fraud target due to the nature of what we sell (Zero chargebacks since going on-line).

There was an interesting case some time ago in England where a cop claimed there was an unauthorized ATM withdrawl. He was convicted of attempted theft because the court believed the bank's claim that their system was foolproof, and anyone alleging a false withdrawl was obviously a liar.

The local mall ninja here in the west Boston suburbs discovered a steel "temporary night deposit box" placed in front of the real one which had an "out of order" sign. Fortunately, it was reported before anyone came to empty it - but the police found many people had indeed left their deposit bag in this temporary night depository.