Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow vs Fast with 147gr for production.

IrishPsych

I have 3lbs of w231 and 3.5 of Clays. Both have worked for 147gr loads. I don't have a chrono. I also use the powders for 45acp. Very light recoil for the 147gr z9mm loads. I need to polish my Hornady powder drop cuz Clays with big flakes can be an issue.

Strictly for 9mm it's about 10,000 rounds in powder I have.

Would fast or slow powders be better for 147gr moly?

I want to get Solo 1000 but can't find any.

Then saw CFE Pistol, it's around HS6 and Autocomp burn rate, very slow. 147gr fmj load data is 3.7 min so I'm guessing lead/moly would be 3-3.5. Not much data yet. Found 7lbs locally but seller want $28 a pound.

Edited by IrishPsych

I have been able to get WST locally. So I have been loading it with 147 gr moly bullets. I got 2 lbs of 231 to try after the WST runs out.

Don't even bother. WST is the better powder. Cleaner.

Edit: If you have it, by all means use it. Just know that typically WST will be preferred over 231, at least in my case, by far.

Edited by JaeOne3345

If you are looking for soft shooting you want a fast powder. I like titegroup and e3 for 147 gr coated lead, I have a little solo 1000 left, and it works real good too, impossible to find though.

I don't think burn rate makes a huge difference for 147gr 9mm. With a variety of 147gr bullets, I've used WST (on the faster end) and Universal (more of a medium burner) and don't notice the difference. I prefer WST with the coating Precision uses (due to smoke/smell), but with Hi-Tek coated, plated, or jacketed, either one is fine, and I use Universal because I have more of it and hate it in .45, where WST is my preferred powder.

Bullseye may be kind of fast for 147gr 9mm. For WSF, I'd start at the bottom (Hodgdon says 3.9-4.3gr) and only work up from there if you don't get the velocity you want. I've never used WSF, but with Universal, I find that with 124gr bullets, starting loads work fine, but for 147gr loads, I had to go to max loads to get consistent/complete combustion and the velocity I wanted.