Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BBI OAL Variations

n5qm

All,

I have 1k of the 135gr BBI that I am currently working with. I noticed some pretty significant variations in OAL and started checking each component individually and I am measuring a spread of up to 0.010" on the height of the bullets.

Is this a normal variation for a coated round? I am assuming it is just the thickness of the coating that is varying between bullets?

Robert

Edited by n5qm

I gather you are speaking of the length of the bullets themselves and not a loaded cartridge. If the bullets, then it's sort of immaterial as any variation in length of the bullet will be inside the case when loaded. Won't have any affect on the cartridge OAL.

I measured the length of the bullets themselves after noticing the variations on COAL, which has a spread of nearly 20 thousandths.

Based on further reading I'm going to try lubing the cases to see if that helps.

I'm loading on a XL650 and the shell plate is snug.

Edited by n5qm

With a RN profile the length of the bullet is slightly affected by the sizing process as 1 bullet is used to push another bullet thru the sizing system. The seating die should use the give of the ogive of the bullet and not the tip. That way the bullet is seated to the same depth based on the base dimension inside the case.

I used to see the same thing in my 550 with the standard Dillon dies. Changed to a redding competition seating die and problem solved. Call us if you have some question.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ahh, that makes sense. Should I try the method I have stern mentioned where you use some hot glue in the seating die to improve the contact with the bullet?

The Dillon die is leaving a little imprint right around the tip of the bullet.

I have experienced the same thing with the same bullet. There is a wider than average variance in the overall length of the bullet, as well as a wide variance in overall length of the cartridge if seating off the ogive, which I do with RN's. Also, if you are loading for pistols like CZ's that have shorter than average fee-bore, you're going to be loading those bullets DEEP into the case, right to the actual limit where the case walls start to thicken. It's less than ideal. It's the irregular thickness of the coating that causes the length variance. BBI is new to this coating, so hopefully it will get better with time. I liked BBI 125 and 147 with the old coating quite a bit. For the record, in testing with these bullets, I got excellent standard deviations, but accuracy sucked out loud.

I use that exact same bullet when I shoot SS minor and we have a BUNCH of CZ guys using them. This is the 1st I have heard of an accuracy concern. Off of a rest I shot 1-1/2 groups at 25 yds. Give me a call and we will see if we can work you issue out. I shot 15k of them since the coating change.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Chandler,

I have been doing more reading and it looks like the Dillon seating die has a stem that is reversible, so I will "play" with that later tonight to see if it helps. I am new to all of this, so I am learning as I go....

Robert

So, I took the seating die apart and out of the two sides of the stem, I think I am using the best choice.

Disassembled die:

knyo.jpg

The side of the stem I am using:

r42e.jpg

The other side of the stem:

ce2x.jpg

All,

I made the modification to the seating stem using the hot glue method and was rewarded with a dramatic improvement. My COAL variations went from 0.020 to 0.005 in my sample groups.

I documented what I did in the following thread.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194010

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!

Robert