Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how fast to go?

uzi

I thinks short_round gave you a great advice. But I would be inclined to say you should shoot as fast as it allows you to get the best hit points/time ratio. There is a lengthy explanation of the scoring system and how to approach it on Rob Leatham's site. I'll look it up.

EDIT: Here you go, it's the first one.

Now, it looks like you are requesting a number based answer, and I'm not quite sure that is a correct approach, but anyways... In my personal opinion, I'd say a sub second (meaning 1.00 second or faster) A hit from the holster (you don't specify which kind of weapon or holster) is a pretty good time.

Does this mean you should strive to get this 1 second mark and then stop trying to beat that personal record of yours?

No, you should always practice and set the goal to go faster while still getting reliable hits and reproduceable (is that even a word?) performance. This aplies to every aspect of shooting, not just draws.

My best ever is .69, in the course of a multi shot drill.

It happened after a bunch of .72s, while I was actually focusing on getting better hits on the drill I was doing.

Remember, your conscious mind can only picture one thing at a time, so you always get exactly what you think about...

SA

In his book, Brian Enos lists .95 seconds as his reliable draw from an IPSC start to a an 8 inch plate at 10 yards. That's for a single shot. As a rule, the first shot time seems to increase slightly when subsequent shots are required.

I would say anyone who has consistently demonstrated a reliable sub one second first shot match draw to an A box at 10 meters is very, very, fast.

I have a lot of work to do.  :P
You guys make me so depressed...

LOL, just remember (and this is in no way an attempt to put Jake down) that anyone can do this if you are willing to put in the work! :)

BTW, .59 is friggin' awesome Jake!!! :D

Sppok,

Thanks bud.

I totally agree that anyone can do it.

Figuring that for the past month I have been dry firing for 1 - 5 hours a day, with live fire in between. 6 months ago there was no way I could pull a .59 draw off. .8 was difficult. Now, when I hit a .8 or a .9 it always feels slow. A .9 now feels like a 1.5.

If you want it bad enough, you can do it.

I don't get out much. Do the guys on the Super squad perform match draws to a 10 yard A box in .8-.9 seconds? I know they can, but I am curious if they typically back it off a notch in favor of that "Kodak moment" with perfect sight picture and a perfect grip?

I can't speak for the super-squad.

Jake was down for a match in Ohio at the start of December. I know that he was hitting sub-second draws in the match. That is likley because they became second nature to him.

I know I wasn't hitting them that quickly. And, if I had tried, it would have been a mess...I hadn't been handling my gun much at all.

Back here course designers spoil your hidden fast draw advantage by putting lots of no-shoots on your targets or use partials or hard covers. And the times they don't do that, you normally have to start from a really unstable position or stance.

Personally, I find a 1.2 sec draw from any start position (assuming holstered and chambered gun) to be already competitive. Of course, this should not stop you from practicing to get sub sec draws. ;)

Here its usually condition 2 in most start positions. Though level2-3 matches give us some condition 1 starts.

I had a .83 at a 12 meter plate on an all steel stage. I found out since the RO told me and showed me the timer.