Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC/USPSA prop input needed.

SilverBolt

We are working on revitalizing our club's action pistol matches. I am putting together a budget proposal for our BoD for new props. I am seeking input advice on which props to put on the list. Here is what I have so far.

Plate Racks 2ea

Texas Star 2ea

Pepper Popper 12ea

Small Popper 12ea

Drop Turner Target 2ea

Swinger Target 2ea

Our club currently has 12 action bays 7 of them suited for medium to large stages. We have equipment now however is it long over due for replacement. We have plenty of walls, doors, fault lines, etc. Looking mostly for target type of props. What am I missing? I am currently looking at MGM Targets as a source of supply. Who else should I be looking at?

Is the Bianchi spacing plate rack the correct version? Any and all input is appreciated.

Perhaps you should trade a star for a polish plate rack? Also, a clam-shell and max-trap would round things out.

As far as plates are concerned, round can be from 8-12" in diameter and square (or rectangular) 6 to 12" on a side. See appendix B5 for plate info. Keep in mind that plates either fall when hit or it is a REF. The rules are silent on spacing.

Have Fun!

Chuck

I prefer the max traps to the clam shells. Also plan for a couple of swingers. You will also want activation methods for some of these. Stomp boxes or cabling systems. A polish plate rack is nice as well. With the activation systems, you should have multiple length cables with routing options and make all the attachment points universal so you can use the same setups.

Edited by poolguy

I appreciate the input. Please keep it coming. Part of what we are proposing is to replace existing worn equipment. The new gear would be for match use only. The old gear would be available to members for practice.

As for plate racks, instead of the typical heavyduty 6-plate plate rack, you may want to consider a few 2-plate plate racks that are easily moveable. That way you can put them anywhere instead of leaving a heavy plate rack in one place. The ones my club have are a 2 piece setup; a tripod stand and the 2 plates mounted in a housing with an eyebrow.

Suggest your poppers be forward falling.

The thing about drop turners, if it is a disappearing target there are times it doesn't even pay to take a shot at it. so it is a waste to even put it on the COF. This happened at my local match over the weekend.

Chills peek-a-boo targets are cool; http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192806#entry2144914

I hope my club gets one or 2 of these; https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=734194076622580&set=vb.100000959825019&type=2&theater

Activators were already mentioned. A "step on" and a "step off" activator keeps people on their toes. It is funny watching someone standing on a step off activator and they're calling REF when the swinger doesn't move...until they step off!

One more thing...get some railroad ties and a chain saw. Cut the ties into 2' lengths and attach rope handles to them. Put the ties in front of the swinger/drop turner/peek-a-boo/whatever mechanisms you do not want bullets to hit. You may need to stack the ties 2 high.

Edited by remoandiris

Unless you have long distances for your steel, you might want to consider more USP (small poppers) and less Pepper Poppers. You want a few of hte large ones for activators and a few classifiers, but in general the smaller ones are what we end up using time and again. In fact we are having most of ours cut down right now.

+1 to the suggestion for Forward Falling poppers. If you get the MGM ones, you start with the same Pepper or Mini Popper and add their FF-bracket. I converted about 10 of ours to FF so we have more freedom in stage design to place poppers in the middle of the bay (still maintaining minimum distance) without having to worry about a round ricochetting over the berm from a double tap. Otherwise we try and put the rearward falling poppers closer to the berm. FF are also fun to mix in with R-F poppers.

MGM also makes a pop-up bracket for the poppers so that when the popper falls a metric target pops up (or you can put a no-shoot in the place of a metric for some evil fun).

Propeller or polish plate rack is my favorite. Stars are fun too. Lately I have really been enjoying all the moving paper though. Have to agree with above though, the drop turners are super awesome IF they are timed right to really give shooters an option as far as engagement order when mixed in an array. I've found that when our MD sets them up he makes it a point to sort of give about three ways to hit it. Easy medium and hard! Each with it's own pros and cons based on your skill level.

Good for you on looking for new props too. A little research will make a lot of shooters happy.

On a side note, my newest thing I really enjoyed was man on man bonus stage with two new plate racks our club recently acquired. Man on man race to a crossover knock down popper with a mandatory reload in between the rack and popper... Totally bonus for fun and everyone really had a blast doing it. Big plus 1 for two matching racks!!

I'd recommend a stomp-box for sure, and also echo the clamshell/max trap ideas.

If your large poppers don't come drilled for use as activators, I'd recommend drilling all of them with holes on both sides.

When you look at drop-turners, there are single-look and double-look DTs. I know our double-look DTs are MGM. Not sure on the single. Mixing them up makes for some options for the shooter.

Stars and Polish/Irish plate racks are a lot of fun, but they can be a big source of reshoots when the springs weaken. Be sure to get spare springs.

• 10 months later...

Need help buying a Max Trap. The gunsteel.com website is dead.

Thanks for any info in advance.

MGM Targets and R & R Targets both make slightly different variations of clamshell targets. You might check out their websites to see if either version meets your needs.

Just call Travis at MGM and order the whole catalog. Then request that he fly them out to your match by offering him a free match for him and his son.......since he is just about the worlds nicest guy, he just might do it........

Seriously-more drop turners and swingers along with a few clamshell/maxtrap type of targets. Maybe a bobber type of target. Other than that, you sound like you have a great selection for your shooters to play with.

Best of Luck to you this upcoming season..........I bet you'll have a blast.

R