Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand injuries

Round_Gun_Shooter

Yeah, I know, I have done Hate rants on this before but after 2 years dealing with this it is really getting old. Left hand seems to be all set from Carpal Tunnel release in 11-2012 but right hand has been worse since the same surgery same month and it is getting worse instead of better.

Shot 10 rounds yesterday for qualification for new indoor range at my local club.

Got up this morning to a swollen and VERY sore hand and wrist. 10 rounds is nothing and should not have been a problem. Did a little work yesterday but nothing out of the ordinary. Can't figure out why things are deteriorating.

Working with a bad wrist makes for a very long day. I was up to three Aleve and now that doesn't even touch the pain.

Started with a new hand surgeon last week. Nerve study this coming Friday, hope we find out what is going on.

Next step is to drop something heavy on my foot so I don't notice the hand pain :surprise:

Hardest thing is I have Bullets, primers, powder, brass, loaded ammo, 22 ammo, shotgun ammo, and I can't use it.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Gary,

I have a friend that's going thru the same thing,only thing is he is 40 years old..Already sold most of his shooting stuff,..Can't seem to even shoot 22's anymore..He's going thru Dr's by the dozens..hope it gets better.

Carpal Tunnel sucks I have it in both wrists but not real bad yet, I hate waking up in the middle of the night with a numb thumb & fingers.

My wife had surgery in November on her left wrist and had the right done a few years ago, the left one is still bothering her.

Edited by birdzman

They claim I only have slight Carpal tunnel, but my Right hand swells up and I can't really grip anything till the swelling goes down. And I can't do little manipulations with either of them some days. Like I loaded 300rnds and my left hand got sore from placing bullets. Sucks….

Yeah, I know, I have done Hate rants on this before but after 2 years dealing with this it is really getting old. Left hand seems to be all set from Carpal Tunnel release in 11-2012 but right hand has been worse since the same surgery same month and it is getting worse instead of better.

Shot 10 rounds yesterday for qualification for new indoor range at my local club.

Got up this morning to a swollen and VERY sore hand and wrist. 10 rounds is nothing and should not have been a problem. Did a little work yesterday but nothing out of the ordinary. Can't figure out why things are deteriorating.

Working with a bad wrist makes for a very long day. I was up to three Aleve and now that doesn't even touch the pain.

Started with a new hand surgeon last week. Nerve study this coming Friday, hope we find out what is going on.

Next step is to drop something heavy on my foot so I don't notice the hand pain :surprise:

Hardest thing is I have Bullets, primers, powder, brass, loaded ammo, 22 ammo, shotgun ammo, and I can't use it.

Might be an auto-immune component.

I have severe arthritis and also get carpal-tunnel and tendonitis frequently. Sometimes my body just decides to attack and tear the hell out of a joint. Sometimes even a minor amount of strain sets it off.

Carpal Tunnel sucks I have it in both wrists but not real bad yet, I hate waking up in the middle of the night with a numb thumb & fingers.

My wife had surgery in November on her left wrist and had the right done a few years ago, the left one is still bothering her.

I used to envy the people who had numbness. When mine would flare up, I had hot shooting pains that felt like they raidiated out both middle fingers. The really fun ones was when it felt like somebody was standing on my fingers (crushing pain).

I used to envy the people who had numbness. When mine would flare up, I had hot shooting pains that felt like they raidiated out both middle fingers. The really fun ones was when it felt like somebody was standing on my fingers (crushing pain).

Pretty close to where I am at some of the time.

Had my EMG last week, headed to the surgeon 05-01 and hoping something can be done.

A couple of years ago I posted about my Dupuytren's just before surgery. Now two years have passed, two surgeries have been done and I'm currently awaiting the third, I feel your pain. This time I am having EVERYTHING biopsied and second opined. It doesn't just affect your shooting, it affects everything. Between back and hand surgery, I have had 7 surgeries in the last two years, my gun vault is a ghost town and I'm still in pain. If it wasn't for my wife, I'd spend a lot more time in a much darker place. If you get tired of holding on to those components, come out to Arizona and I'll put on a "Handy-capped" match for Carpal Tunnel and Dupuytren's sufferers. We'll run it like "Who's Line Is It?", the rules will be made up and the points won't matter. Heal soon and smile often...

Just checked, you were there as well...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=155740&hl=%2Bdupuytren%26%2339%3Bs#entry1812339

Edited by chaosshooter00

I know how you feel, my hands feel like they've been slammed in a car door.

• 2 weeks later...

Word from Doc today is surgery again on right hand. Sooner the better for me he said so May 28th is the day.

This Doc says he expects good results where the guy that did it in 2012 said if I needed surgery again it was a "Maybe".

Then on to the ankle.

Hopefully back to shooting by next season.

• 1 month later...

Sitting here typing with one hand, recovering from LRTI surgery (base of left thumb) on Wednesday morning. It's my non-dominant hand, so hopefully I'll be back to shooting soon. I have a sanctioned match 8 weeks from tomorrow in Michigan. I may need to reload my revolver a little differently if my thumb is still not working well by then. Guess we'll see...