Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Master in cdp

harley45

Harley, here is what I suggest. shoot the classifier and determine where you need the most work, and work on those areas. Shoot the classifier every week. Part of the trick is knowing how to shoot the classifier. (Matt Burketts DVD Vol 5 is a big help). Work on stage 3, accuracy and reloading/movement, and weak and strong hand shooting and the El Prez, these areas will save you lots of time.

For me, I practice twice each week, approx 800 rounds per week, and dry fire two to three nights. I'll shoot the classifier at least twice during a session. I shot the classifier in March 04 and scored 102. After the practices and many matches, I scored 88 in Oct and recently scored 84 sec. My goal for this year is to shoot it in under 75 sec.

Also, try and train with shooters better than you. My training partner shoots the classifier in the 60's, he tells me what works for him, and what I need to do to get better.

How long it will take you depends on your level now, and how much time your willing to put in.

Hope this helps...Happy Holidays...John

Harley45,

You can take this with a grain of salt, or maybe use it too.

If you can shoot Expert at the classifier, how well do you shoot in the matches...

There are some around where I shoot that practice the classifier and have made classifications better than they can shoot in matches.

I have always been under the impression that if you want to be good with the gun practice the BASICS until you don't even think about them when you do them.

Then get more technical as needed.

DON'T practice the Classifier, Do practice the Drills that help shoot the classifier more effeciently.

Take for instance the one hand stage, I shoot the plate rack out to 50 yds free style, strong hand and week hand. If you can hit the plates at 50 yds an IDPA target at 5 yds ( or is it 7 ) is a walk in the park.

Get good doing things similar to but not the classifier and it will take care of itself.

I personally do not practice any classifier, be it IDPA, or USPSA all it does is give oneself a false impression of how the skills are progressing (IMHO)

If you need help just ask, these folks on this FINE forum are full of good and very usable information, Get B.E.s book and Steve Andersons dry fire book, even if you shoot IDPA and don't like or want to try USPSA these two books cover everything you need and then some.

Hope it helps, Good Luck

Sam Keen / Hopalong

I'm an IDPA Master in CDP, ESP, and SSP. I made Master in CDP and SSP by winning Expert at Nationals and getting bumped. I made Master in ESP by shooting the classifier with a Glock 34. It's much more fun making Master by winning at a major match than on the classifier.

For many shooters it takes about a year to move from a solid Expert to a solid Master on the classifier. It takes longer to become experienced enough to be a competitive Master class shooter at major matches. The more organized time you spend practicing the faster you will progress.

It's hard to give practice tips without knowing more about your abilities. If you are trying to make Master on the classifier then do a search in forum for my Master Class breakdown for each string. There is plenty of information there that may help you guage what to work on.

The only general tip I'd give is spend your time working on areas you need to improve on. Too many folks spend most of their practice time doing things they are already good at. If you are already good at something, move on to something else until it is as strong. Repeat until there is nothing at a match that makes you go, "Oh no not .....".

Best of Luck!

PS: I also recommend, Brian's Practical Shooting book, Steve Anderson's Dry Fire book, and I would add Saul Kirsh's Perfect Practice book. Brian's book is a shooting bible, Steve's book is a dry fire drill book, and Saul's book is a live fire drill book.

Harley, where are you from.

My first suggestion is to shoot the classifier, record all of your individual strings. then get in touch and we'll see where u need to work on what. if shot 2 or 3 times that helps destinguish a good base line.

I say practice the individual strings of the classifier. take one week and pick a couple strings.. buy some real targets for your dry fire and put them at similar distances.

I'll check back in with more later. have to run, happy holidays.

I'm from the North Part of Indiana Planning on going back to Buchanan, MI or Valparaiso IN and getting back into this sport heavy. i had to take about two years off to work at getting my new job as a leo.

As soon as the weather breaks here I'll shoot the classifier a couple of times with my new timer and repost here. I'm pretty serious about this goal I just went out today and dug up a 50gallon barrel to take to the range with me.

I made CDP Master the very first (and only) time I shot the classifer with a single-stack. I used the same philosophy I use shooting USPSA classifiers: Go for the points. With solid fundamentals, all you have to do is perform to the level you practice, then execute them on the classifier. Just go for the -0's.

I think going for the points is the best advice to give someone wanting their BEST possible score on the classifier.

As an aside - I used to tell people they "HAD" to get good hits to get a good classification.

A local IPSC shooter decided to give the IDPA classifier a try - just to see what he could do. After carefully considering my "you can't miss fast enough to win in IDPA" advice, he proceded to shoot the first string IPSC style - really fast - but he had 3 misses and dropped some additional points. I kidded with him that Master was probably now out of his reach after dropping all those points on the first string.

He must have taken that to be somewhat of a challenge and proceeded to burn down the remaining two stages. Easily made a Master score - by 20 or more seconds in SSP if my memory serves.

Of course - he was an IPSC GM :D

Now I just "recommend" shooters go for the points.

on a side not I have found that I can shoot the classifier. "points safe" aka slow, or on the edge "fast" and end up with the same score almost every time. as the points make up the difference.

Jake and Matt are you were both pretty accomplished shooters when you shot it! I know jake was.

Seeing your scores will be very interesting. i'm sure some of us can point out your strengths and weaknesses for quicker improvement.

I'm not sure when we'll do another classifier for real but as soon as it gets warmer here in Indiana I'll shoot it at the practice range and post my scores. Might be a couple of months. As far as my skill level now, I'm not real sure as a leo I've been pretty much doing defensive practice the last 2 years, But I have been averaging about 100rds per week.

Jake and Matt are you were both pretty accomplished shooters when you shot it! I know jake was.

It was 1 year and 8 months ago or so, and I had just made B class in Limited and Production. I had never really placed high at a major at that time in anything. If I remember correctly, I dropped 12 points on that classifier, all on the 3rd stage.

Guess I am in the group that think the classifier is not a good way to bump yourself up. The results at major matches are the real way to move up since they show true ability. The classifier has proves little other than to be a way of classifying yourself above your ability. Seen it happen way too many times. I know lots of folks who classified in one class and are barely competitive in the class below it.

The classifier doesn't test lateral movement skills that are used in most match stages. And it uses a target array that are straight ahead of you and unobstructed. I have yet to hear an SO call Cover on a shooter that was shooting the classifier.

It is a starting point for a baseline but doesn't have much value beyond that.

Last year I tried the "competition only" approach. At least that's how I started early in the season when I thought I would be able to make several big matches.

As it turned out I was not able to make that many matches, and the ones I did make were early in the year before my practice time begn to have an impact. I placed in the top 3 of MM -CDP in 3 different regional matches.

I am officailly classified as Marksman (CDP) but now I regularly get accused of sandbagging because I usually win the MM class at club matches. I also usually beat most of the Sharpshooters and I'm competitive with Experts.

I have unofficially shot the classifier (in practice) and am just a few seconds from Expert classification. A lucky day on the classifier and I will be EX, but that is probably pushing my ability in a match.

Point is: waiting for matches can get you the "sandbagger" label. Practicing and shooting the classifier will probably get you "over classifed" for matches.

Haven't figured out what I want to do this year. What's a girl to do?

The match director or club president is responsible for insuring that the shooter’s classification represents his true skill level and the match director/club president is the key element in the quality assurance of the classification system. ...LGB

If you are shooting SS/EXP scores - then have the MD bump up your classification.

Mark

Duane,

A few years ago, I was toying with the idea of shooting CDP where my classification is SS. I was told by the MD for a major state shoot that if I tried to shoot that he would be sure to adjust my classification. At that point, I was EX in ESP (very close to MA) and MA in SSP, the only reason I was even thinking about going the CDP route was to probably sandbag a win.

I've had another MD threaten as well, but since I don't shoot CDP anymore the point is moot.

Anyway, if MD's don't have the power they certainly think they do.

I did the reverse of Mink-ster, I was an IDPA Master who went to the big pond and became a "B".

It has been four long years since I shot the IDPA classifier, but I think I remember that to get a good score I had to shoot stages 1&2 pretty much down zero.

You can drop a few, very few on stage 3, but your movement has to be crisp to make it up.

I think when playing safe, as in you only get one run, most folks are going to shoot Stages 1&2 in pretty similiar times, the longer range, but still quick pace needed on Stage 3 will probably be what separates folks a little more.

Funny thing is, while I feel stage 3 is the best (IDPA) test of something beyond point shooting, those skills are hardly ever used in a match. I went two years of IDPA and at my local club and two state matches we never shot anything over 12 yards in those 2 years.

If you want to stand knee deep in brass and "grand bag" the thing, you can find some really smokin' "Fearless" times, but I don't know how realistic they are.

If you are shooting SS/EXP scores - then have the MD bump up your classification.

Is that even legal? I'm asking. I wasn't aware the MD had the power to increase a shooter's classification on request.

At one of our last regional matches , we had some shooters the MD allowed to shoot with their duty gear.

One of the kids hadn't shot a classifier ( I know - I know ) , I asked him if he had any other 'ratings' - "Ltd/MASTER in USPSA."

He was running an SVI , IIRC.

I put him in Master (ESP) because that was the closest thing IDPA had "that represented his true skill level."

He also shot the lowest overall score :D

Happy New Year,

Mark

I was a SSP and ESP master and moved myself voulentarily to CDP Master with the permission of a match director. lol.. good thing i di because i beat the 4 other CDP masters by a fair margin :)

I think if you want to move up on the classifier, do it. some of us do not have the opportunity to have a dozen big matches to shoot.

Around here you may win CDP EX and only have 3 -7 competitors in yoru division and you don't get moved up.