Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scharch - substitutes?

D.Hayden

I talked to them today... I've been to reliant on the net, thought I'd try a carbon based system..

(this may be para-phrasing, but you'll get the jist)

They said Army is now shredding the brass in the east, and doing something else in the west (heating it?), that has dropped the supply of brass down considerably.

They knew it was coming, and started getting the equipoment to make thier own.. TopBrass.. but they're still looking for supplies of once fired.

They're hoping for mid to late January.

Army is now shredding the brass in the east, and doing something else in the west (heating it?), that has dropped the supply of brass down considerably.

They knew it was coming, and started getting the equipoment to make thier own.. TopBrass.. but they're still looking for supplies of once fired.

That will definitely be a bummer if the once fired military supply drys up. I would have to change my profligate ways and go back to new WW and scavenging it whenever possible.

--

Happy New Year

• 2 weeks later...

Scharch is listing .223 as back in stock as of 1-17-2005. Looks like it is Remington brass and not the Lake City that they have had for a long time but at least they have .223 back in stock.

FYI...I was placing my semi-annual brass order with brassmanbrass.com today and they told me that they will be starting to offer 100% processed .223 brass in the near future.

Said he currently has a large pile of LC with more on the way.

Good to know that there will be another alternative for 100% processed brass should a favorite supplier run dry again.

He also claims that the Govt had to stop shredding/melting their brass because the various Govt rules required them to get the best price for their scrap and shredded/melted brass isn't nearly as valuable on the surplus market as good quality brass.

If this is true then the flow of LC should be back into the pipeline fairly soon and running out of brass will not be a problem again!

No affiliation...blah blah blah....just a satisfied customer of both Scharch and Brassman and several other surplus brass suppliers.

Edited by kimel