Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am hoping there is a good plumber who hangs out here. I had a pretty weird event this morning and am looking for professional opinions.

I flushed the toilet on the first floor and it drained the water out of the other toilets in the house. (one above and one below). My instincts tell me it should be a vent issue. I can't get it to do it again or I would climb up on the roof and look down the vent stack. All seems fine now.

The only other thing I can think of is, what if the first floor and second floor toilet were flushed at exactly the same time. Could that cause a momentary block of the vent?

Sarge,

I'm in the trade, but have never encountered what you described. However, I'll take a stab at it.

When you flushed the water closet it may have caused a vacum, which can quasi empty the traps.

Was there much wind outside at the time?

The vent operates off of atmospheric pressure, and that can contribute to what you experienced.

Sarge,

I'm in the trade, but have never encountered what you described. However, I'll take a stab at it.

When you flushed the water closet it may have caused a vacum, which can quasi empty the traps.

Was there much wind outside at the time?

The vent operates off of atmospheric pressure, and that can contribute to what you experienced.

Actually yes, quite windy!

House on Indian burial ground?

Seriously....what you describe will happen if it's really windy out. My relatives had a beach house growing up in Mass. And it happened in that house, but only on real windy days and from a certain direction. It became a "thing" in the family. Good memories.

Figured it out after talking to the neighbor and him telling me his did it too. The County was flushing sewers about a block away and they sucked all the shitters dry!

Figured it out after talking to the neighbor and him telling me his did it too. The County was flushing sewers about a block away and they sucked all the shitters dry!

If your vent stacks are working properly, that should not result in trap clearance.

I'm not a plumber by any means, but I work for a large county sanitation district. I'm not sure what flushing sewers means. We do clean lines by dragging a bag through them with a large winch. And also by running a water powered sled up the line and then pulling it back while it sprays down the inside of the line.

If there was a blockage and the line was filled up it might start to backfill into the residentiall lines. If the county was out there clearing a blockage and suddenly the lines drained, then I could see that. If that's what happened you were pretty close to getting the main line backed up into your house. That's a bummer when it happens. Usually starts coming out of the manhole's before it makes it into a house though.

Take care,

Kevin

If your vent stacks are working properly, that should not result in trap clearance.

So far I talked to 3 other people who had dry crappers when they got home so I think it must be the line work they were doing. One lady even went and talked to the guys on the truck and they said it happens and that we should all poor water down our basement drains to prevent any possible odors.

It was a really big vac truck so I guess anythings possible.

I'm not a plumber by any means, but I work for a large county sanitation district. I'm not sure what flushing sewers means. We do clean lines by dragging a bag through them with a large winch. And also by running a water powered sled up the line and then pulling it back while it sprays down the inside of the line.

If there was a blockage and the line was filled up it might start to backfill into the residentiall lines. If the county was out there clearing a blockage and suddenly the lines drained, then I could see that. If that's what happened you were pretty close to getting the main line backed up into your house. That's a bummer when it happens. Usually starts coming out of the manhole's before it makes it into a house though.

Take care,

Kevin

I'm pretty far up the hill. Lot's of houses would be flooded before we have a problem I think. I have seen the truck around our part of town the last few weeks. I think they are doing routine, after the big winter, maintenance.

Regarding the floor drains, it's a good practice to dump your mop water down the floor drains. It works like a trap primer and keeps the traps weir at the correct level and keeps odors from escaping from a dry trap.

Regarding the floor drains, it's a good practice to dump your mop water down the floor drains. It works like a trap primer and keeps the traps weir at the correct level and keeps odors from escaping from a dry trap.

Maybe back in the 60's. The only mop I own is used to mop the garage out every spring.

You mop your garage? If you do a good job I'll let you mop mine too, but you're going to have to ask nice. :>)

Yeah, I mop the salt off the floor after every winter.