Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ice Storm

Shooter Grrl

Well it wasn't a real ice storm. Pretty much a non-event here. No power losses, David made it into work okay this morning (though he did say that my new car used ALL of its safe driving features :))

My only issue was the cats freaking out when the storm first hit. It was pretty damned noisy with 25+ mph gusts driving ice into the house!

Thanks everyone for the info, it helped me, really!

Big Dave, you'ld be a good one to ride the river with. (I've got all that stuff and more at my place.)

Our biggest storms usually come in March around here. It's great to see the attitude of wonder and amazement that you guys and gals are displaying.

Oh well, as we say in Wyoming, "the weather's here, wish you were beautiful"! :P

Well, I was going to show some pics (for SG) of me getting into my truck. But, they didn't come out well.

I had to get the 4lb. mini-sledge hammer out and "chisel" around the circumference of my driver door just to get in. The half-a-foot of solid ice and snow on the windshield took some more doing.

Back when I was doing the morning show at a small-town (Aberdeen) Washington radio station (up at 4am, at the station by 5am) there was a blizzard one night and the following morning there I was hacking over a 1/4" of ice off EVERY part of the car (it was still snowing), digging out a trail with my hands for the car to get out of my parking place onto the road... I was only a few blocks from the station (Aberdeen is small) and--thankfully!--the ride there was mostly downhill. Only to arrive to a power outage at the station... every staff member under the sun was there trying to rewire everything, get us back on the air (so we could tell everyone what bad weather we were already having), the phones were ringing like mad...... I don't even remember how I got back UP the hill to the house six hours later. :unsure:

I hadn't had much sleep that night anyway because the blizzard froze the pipes on the north side of the house, the water in the bathroom overflowed (I was on the second floor, mind you), and the landlord and I were trying to frantically cover the pipes (older house--pipes on the EXterior of the building) so we could get everything to drain before the whole house flooded and froze solid. :angry:

Ah, Western Washington--if you aren't FLOODING several times a year, you're FREEZING! I don't live there any more. The last coupla big floods and arctic storms sent me packing. :wacko:

No garage? Gotta get a garage....... it makes life much easier in the winter. Of course my garage is in the middle of a 100 yard alley that the city will get around to plowing about three days after the last of the snow has melted ---- but that's what they invented big, selfpropelled snow blowers for......

Well, I was going to show some pics (for SG) of me getting into my truck. But, they didn't come out well.

I had to get the 4lb. mini-sledge hammer out and "chisel" around the circumference of my driver door just to get in. The half-a-foot of solid ice and snow on the windshield took some more doing.

Kyle, were in the same boat, however AEP is not gonna get us any power for 2-10 days they say, so were totally screwed here. I could only run my server for 3 hours once the power went out. So it will be back up and running when we get our electric back on..all I have are 2 kerosun heaters to try and keep the pipes from freezing in the house....lets just hope the gas station in the next town over dont run out of kerosene! Im over at my parents house closer to Cincinnati so I could get online for a bit. I got photos of downed trees, downed lines and blown up transformers I will post of the world of shit were in down here when I get my electric back up.

SG, is that a bird in that first pic of your underneath what I assume to be the cat food/drink bowl????? Is it still alive or frozen?????

That bowl is food and water for the birds. He's waiting for his snack, and yes, he's still alive. I finally went out this morning and put some food out for them - the cats are loving their kitty tv :)

I also ventured to Wal Mart this afternoon. The drive wasn't bad, but what was I thinking??? It's Christmas Eve, 2 hours before they close until Sunday - DOH!

Western Tennessee didn't get hit near as hard as Ohio! We do still have ice and snow on the ground though, and it is 22 degrees in the sun!

Shooter Grrl,

Go down to the Gallery and click on ROBOMANUSA's photo album, there you will see what a real ICE STORM is all about.

The last BAD one we had around here in West TN was in 93, we were out of power for 17 days, and had friends out for over 3 weeks.

See you and RB in Memphis on the 3rd :-)

Hopalong

Shooter Grrl,

Go down to the Gallery and click on ROBOMANUSA's photo album, there you will see what a real ICE STORM is all about.

The last BAD one we had around here in West TN was in 93, we were out of power for 17 days, and had friends out for over 3 weeks.

See you and RB in Memphis on the 3rd :-)

Hopalong

I did go look at the pictures RoboMan posted - YIKES. My only thought was "at least that tree fell away from house!"

Probably won't see us on the 3rd... we're installing insulation and drywall in the garage ceiling next week. I expect us to be unable to move much by the time we're done :)