Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Laser Engravers are too cool!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't need one, really I don't. Very nice, and I still don't need one :)

A buddy of mine just dropped some serious coin in a laser engraver so he can customize guns for folks. This one is pretty badass!852FCE98-4574-40C7-8B3F-E91FEFE00FBB_zps

• 1 month later...

Do you know what make/model laser engraver he got?

I've though about getting a membership to TechShop, they have a local location where among other equipment you get access to is a laser engraver.

I remember when the first reasonably priced laser printers came out by Apple in the mid 80's (and of course the cool WYSIWYG software), you rented time at a local shop/paid by the page or had it done for you, now no big deal, everyone has one at home (that wants one).

I always wonder what will hit our home first -- a laser engraver, or if my 10 year old daughter has her way, a 3D printer (and 3D scanner).

Edited by trgt

It's definitely not a toy. It cost more than my 3-gun kit.

I'm sure! I think the 'hobby' systems are about $2k minimum for real small/lightweight stuff, I'm sure something you'd use for a shop starts $7-10k then goes up (or WAY up) depending on what it is.

Edited by trgt

I wonder if there is places where you can rent a laser engraver? sometimes you just want to mess around with one without having to break a bank

Look in your area for a hacker lab, tool library or maker space. They usually have one.

I just checked, our local TechShop has Epilog Helix 45-Watt and 60-Watt Laser Cutters -- I might have to go visit them and check out the memberships.

I wonder if there is places where you can rent a laser engraver? sometimes you just want to mess around with one without having to break a bank

Look in your area for a hacker lab, tool library or maker space. They usually have one.

Thanks. Will look into that

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

My wife has been an engraver for many years. She brought this up in an engravers forum and it turns out that you need a federal firearms license to engrave on any thing with a serial number on it. If you get caught the fines are huge. Before you try this you might want to check with the FTA. I know this is an older thread.

Jack

Edited by NFLcavediver

My wife has been an engraver for many years. She brought this up in an engravers forum and it turns out that you need a federal firearms license to engrave on any thing with a serial number on it. If you get caught the fines are huge. Before you try this you might want to check with the FTA. I know this is an older thread.

Jack

Sounds like they don't know what they are talking about. Now if you are changing the serial number you need a license for that.

Make ready pro shop is an FFL BTW.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser