Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon .223 carbide or steel resizer

Prebaned

Got to get one or the other the price difference is extreme but either way I will get what I need. I don't have a issue getting the carbide die if it makes it that much easier to pull the handle versus the steel. I understand everything has to be lubed either way.

I'm looking for input from users of a steel die and a carbide die. As far as the outside dimensions of the case body being tapered does the carbide ring size it properly or does it size like a 9mm carbide ring that gives it a wasp wasted affect?

From what I understand they are both full length Sizer's and the steel die has a carbide expander button whereas the carbide die has the carbide ring and a carbide expander button.

TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With lubricated cases there isn't much, if any difference, in force involved in sizing cases. The main difference is the carbide ones are designed for really high volume - commercial - users and they aren't necessary for the average reloader.

^ This.

I buy carbide for pistol, and then still use a bit of One Shot spray lube (and leave it on), but normal steel for rifle.

You can get away w/out lube on carbide pistol dies, but need the lube regardless for rifle - just not worth the $, although choosing a set with a carbide expander is worthwhile, IMO.

Thanks for the replies. After an exhaustive extensive research I settled on the carbide .223 die. I know I will never outlast the die other then maybe crack the carbide insert, but other than that I chose it because of the ease of force needed and the less likeliness of getting a stuck cartridge. In the whole scheme of things it is relatively inexpensive when I compare all the other reloading paraphernalia I have from Dillon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have the Dillon 223 carbide and I don't like it much. You have to bottom out relatively hard in order to fully size cases. This is fine on a single stage, but on a progressive it puts a lot of strain on everything.

I could grind a few thousandths off the bottom I guess, but I can't bring myself to do that to such an expensive die.