Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LM choke and slugs OK,or NOT

BOOM

I never bought the LM cool ade either!!! Thats why after a bunch of testing we found it the most versatile of all shotgun chokes, but it is nice to se I.C and Modified get some lovin also! :)

Kurtm ; We like testing; I like versatile; Would you share more; concerning point of impact changes with different chokes, and slugs hitting high or low, and what you've found to work best for you. P. Kelley did a write up on chokes for Him LM is the most versatile choke for 3 gun. Pat didn't discuss shooting slugs in that particular article only shot and distance .

My Briley LM (0.015") is my go to choke for all 3-Gun in my M2, including slugs, and shoots them great. I have run my slugs all the way up to Light Full (0.030") with no issue. My buddy has occasionally shot slugs through a full choke in his M4 (I presume 0.035").

I am not a lawyer, but I have to think that if any standard choke was likely to cause problems with common ammunition (e.g., slugs), we'd hear about a lot more lawsuits on the subject...

Thanks CJW; I feel pretty confidant LM choke is the best way to go with reading ,the response I've gotten from you, and others here. On the issue of impact change is this a common problem ,and everyone deals with it by trying to compensate for it, or installing a rear sight in the hopes of solving the problem ?

Just shoot slugs with all your chokes at 50 yds and learn where they hit with the sight picture you want-usually something like the fiber optic bead sitting on the rib like a sun setting on a lake. Remington Reduced Recoil 1oz slugs are the most common I have seen,but like all ammo-there are lots of others. Full power have a different point of impact. Usually you just have to hit paper from 10-50 yds, or a big steel at 50-80 yds so it's not bullseye work, but it is better to have sights that make you accurate quickly. Small learning curve for slugs, well worth the time. Lots of threads on here about shotgun sights.

Edited by Jadeslade

If Kurt says go, just go.

I have LM chokes in both my 930JM and SX3 and have never had any safety or accuracy issues. And, like him, I just use it for everything.

Thanks CJW; I feel pretty confidant LM choke is the best way to go with reading ,the response I've gotten from you, and others here. On the issue of impact change is this a common problem ,and everyone deals with it by trying to compensate for it, or installing a rear sight in the hopes of solving the problem ?

I have an M2 Tactical with a rear ghost ring. I zeroed my slugs with LM at 50yds. Then I ran more slugs through Skeet and Light Full (the other two chokes I tend to use) and noticed basically no difference at 50yds. Your mileage may vary, of course, but for me impact chance turned out to be no issue at all.

BOOM, it depends upon the barrel, the chokes, and how square the threading in the barrel is as to wether there will be any POA/POI shift when switching chokes. I have two guns that don't change at all across the range of chokes that came with the guns, (M2,s). I have one that will change elevation in the lm and Im range and then goes back to zero with full......it depends on the gun.

Pat Kelley is a learned man and has been at this game since 97 or 98. He gives great advice!

You asked what I prefer so here it is. In 1996 I silver soldered a Briley light modified into my trusty M1, which I still shoot in matches. I think that should answer your question. I was pretty vocal back then about it being the best all round choke for what we do, and I still am.

I don't dispute your point at all Kurt. LM is the shizzle in a LOT of guns. What always gets my motor going is when somebody brings their shotgun in for some modification or another and tells me that "THIS choke is the God's honest best restriction on the planet.....It's .0007 bigger than a Mod, (or IC, or whatever)". Then I measure his bore and find that his particular shotgun is .003 OVER standard 12ga bore. So, in effect, he is shooting .0023 more restriction than he thinks, and it's actually more like an IMPROVED modified than a LIGHT modified, IN HIS PARTICULAR GUN! BUT, he just took the latest internet consensus and assumed (without testing) that it would make him hit more targets. If the manufacturers held better bore diameters, and didn't "back-bore" some models, then universal statements are all good. But nothing, and I mean NOTHING can replace testing YOUR shotgun, with the shot size YOU shoot. Which YOU did!

In the shotgun I am currently using, I shoot Mod almost always, unless the stage is all clays at powder burn close (then I use a true cylinder choke). However, I have been known to use a Turkey choke (extra full) if there is a spinner and no clays on the stage. Totally NOT the choke setup I used on my Remington. My Rem hit super low with slugs no matter what choke I used, but it would only group with IC.

Edited by openclassterror

LM choke are safe to shoot slug through, and pretty much what most 3 gun shotgun shooters are calling there overall # 1 choice with IC choke running a close second depending on the shotgun itself, and the testing of different brands of slugs for best point of impact combining with a good tight shot pattern. Reading here there is a overall opinion that a LM choke has that ability to put a tight group of 7.5 -3 dram down range with enough energy to knock down steel at longer distances, and still being accurate for any slug targets down range also . These choke aren't cheep that's why I asked.

Do the rules allow changing of chokes from stage to another? Example: Stage 1 is super close range clay targets, and you choose to use a skeet choke, then on Stage 2 are 30 yd pepper poppers that you would like to you a Mod. choke. Is it legal to switch chokes for each of these stages?

Thanks,

Mike

Ha, I was just thinking about one of my turkey shoot shotguns. Old Revelation 16ga that has an adjustable choke you either turn left or right to tighten or loosen the constriction. Do that on the fly in between arrays, just don't blow your hand off.