Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Fellow practical shooters suffer from Gout in the foot?

For the past year, I have suffered from pain in the joint of my big toe on my right foot. its been getting worse and worse as of late and causing me to miss some local matches. I finally went to get a diagnosis this week and it turn out to be Gout. Do any of you suffer from this and what are you doing to prevent build up. What kind of preventive measures are you taking? Thanks, Ric

yes, but i have it under control now. I've been on Allopurinol for probably 10 years now. Only time i suffer is if i really eat REALLY poorly for several days AND drink a lot of alochol. Even then, its not that bad.

When it flares up, cherry juice is supposed to help ease the pain. That never worked for me, maybe it will for you.

Without medication, you need to watch what you eat. No organ meats ( liver, kidneys, etc ) shellfish, red meat, turkey, alcohol. A really strict Gout diet consists of one that is low in Purines. What are purines.....can't really explain it. I've tried. Its very weird, you can eat certain vegetables, not all. Certain nuts are good, some not. etc, etc. I have a strict gout diet somewhere around, if i can find it, i will send it to you.

Proper diagnosis is a very good start. I suffered for a few years before i was finally diagnosed properly.

For years my only solution to the gout was Allopurinol. It would get so bad even with the meds that I had to hobble around the office in a pair of house shoes.

For the past 15 years I've used concentrated black cherry tablet from the local health food store. For a while I took the tablets daily but found that if I took several tablets every 6 hours when I first began to hurt, I would be back to normal within a day or two. Doing it this way has made me essentially gout free for years.

Better than the tablets is pure cherry juice you get from an orchard but that is seasonal.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Second the Allopurinol. A cortisone shot from any podiatrist can really help if you have a bad flareup. Takes about 12-24 for the shot to help.

This is what I take, and my diet is good, quit drinking. no flareup in months...

I started getting when I was about 29. I'm 33 now. I tried to deal with it for a long time, now my ankle is pretty shitty. Get to the doctor and get the alopurenol. don't be dumb like me.

I haven't had a major flair up in a year or so. But, my foot is always a little stiff now. I may try the cherry pills people are suggesting, certainly can't hurt anything.

I suffer from gout myself, I was prescribed colchicine. I am supposed to take one a day but I can control gout with diet. Once in a while I get a flare up from attending a BBQ or such. I also noticed changing elevations or not hydrating properly also trigger flare ups.

I sympathize with you, gout is painful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My son suffers from gout also. He medicated to get it under control. Then changed his diet a bit. Now when he feels it coming on he just drinks tons of water and that does the trick. He and I both suffer from kidney stones also. Guess what. Same remedy....lots of water.

• 4 weeks later...