Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding problems with the TS in .40

jayjay1

Hey guys,

is it possible, that the TS in .40 doesn´t like some truncated cone bullets?

I never had feeding issues with the RNFP, for example, but with some TC bullets I do have.

Does anybody have similar experiences?

Edited by jayjay1

No sir, no buffer since you told me to drop it out.

:bow:

I´ve changed the recoil spring, actually running a 12lb., but had a lot of 180gr. RNFP (LOS bullets) through it without any problem.

Now I tried my selfmade lead Lymans 175gr. TC and got that feeding probs.

Round stucks in the chamber, slide doesn´t close full.

Have to "hammer" the round out (hit the slide from the front and above backwards with left flat hand).

OAL is as long as possible, 0,1mm set back from the lands.

Well, no, not that much, the slide is nearly closed, so that you can´t see the round, but there is roundabout 0,3" open.

I don´t know, if I should try a stronger recoil spring or crimp the round a little more, set the bullet back a bit?

Well, I will not say "no", but I´ve measured the OAL.

Chamber isn´t reamed yet, over here this must be done by a gunsmith for some money.

I will drop test it tomorrow, because it´s late over here and the kids have to go to bed now.

:sight:

Edited by jayjay1

I will try that.

What about taking a stronger recoil spring?

You really don't want to force the round into the chamber, for several reasons.

If the timing on the pistol isn't just right you could end up firing it out of battery and get a case rupture.

You have to unload it once in a while, don't want a live round jammed in there.

Pressure is going to spike if you are into the lands.

Drop test your rounds and correct the problem would be my advise

Going up in spring weight may overcome the problem but it doesn't fix it.

But if your current ammo passes the chamber check, going with a heavier spring so that you can run through the rounds that you currently have loaded should be fine.

@tortuga pirates :D

I´m not in the lands, I´m just 0,1mm in front of it.

I will droptest the ammo and I will, if this works w/o any issue, set the bullets back a bit and give them a try.

Thanx so far.

:cheers:

It sounds like the cases aren't being sized correctly. What press are you loading with?

An undersized sizing die could correct this problem.

Rounds should drop into the chamber and fall back out (when using the barrel - removed from the gun as a check).

As I have said in another thread, CZs like short OAL but this sounds like the cases themselves are the issue.

The other possibility that comes to mind is the extractor. When mine gets dirty enough it can cause these type of misfeeds.

Feralshooter, thanx for the info!

I use the Dillon sizing die in my 550.

Isn´t that small enough?

I do have "coke-bottle-rounds" mostly.

Dirt under the extractor, well, this could be, I´ll check that.

Thanx.

P.S.:

Oversize of the rounds makes sence, because they stuck in the chamber, of course.

Hm, but that mustn´t be a brass thing, could be a bullit-and-brass - thing, because I use all brass I can get, not looking on the producer.

I press my selfmade lead bullits to .401" because my barrel is .400".

Maybe it´s just with some "thicker" brass?

I will do the drop test and those who stuck are getting measured from me.

:huh: Hmmmmmm.....

Edited by jayjay1

Guess what, almost none of the rounds dropped out like they should.

So I pressed a few rounds right in with my thumb and all of them stuck in the chamber.

I did some dummies with the bullits set back -0,3mm, that´s round about 0,0125".

They all dropped in and out easily without any issue.

So I took my magnifier lens and looked at my lymans.

The shoulder of the bullets aren´t constant in their height, they go up and down like a rollercoaster under the magnifier.

I did 100 rounds now and will fire them at the weekend.

I´m 99% sure, that this was the problem.

Thanx to all of you for your support inhere!

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Back inhere.

Well, I had the same problem with the shortened OAL, it is now by 1,14", although I "drop-tested" them and it worked well.

Will try 1,1" next time.

I have to say, that I love my CZs a lot, but the short chambers are a pain in the ass.

:angry2:

Ream it!

Time for a redneck gun smithing update:

Like most CZ Tactical Sport owners, I love the pistol, love the trigger, but hate having so much trouble finding a bullet I can load longer than 1.1" with lead in the short chamber. So I decided to ream it out a little bit, but those damn reamers are so expensive...

I have a machinist's set of drill bits, so I figured what the hell! I took my drill bits: W (.386"), X (.397") and Y (.404"), wrapped electrical tape around the shank until the OD was .420" (wrapped clockwise so it doesn't unroll as the bit turns) to keep the bit centered in the chamber and stop it from feeding down the barrel. I turned the bits by hand (W to Y) and continued to check the chamber with a moderately loaded lead round nose (1.135") until it spun free.

On the way to the range the first time, I was a little worried I may have just ruined a $145 barrel, but it shot perfectly, cycled reliably and the rifling looks just like it did out of the factory. I call that a success! :D

From my "Redneck Gunsmithing" thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171217&page=1

Ream it!

Time for a redneck gun smithing update:

Like most CZ Tactical Sport owners, I love the pistol, love the trigger, but hate having so much trouble finding a bullet I can load longer than 1.1" with lead in the short chamber. So I decided to ream it out a little bit, but those damn reamers are so expensive...

I have a machinist's set of drill bits, so I figured what the hell! I took my drill bits: W (.386"), X (.397") and Y (.404"), wrapped electrical tape around the shank until the OD was .420" (wrapped clockwise so it doesn't unroll as the bit turns) to keep the bit centered in the chamber and stop it from feeding down the barrel. I turned the bits by hand (W to Y) and continued to check the chamber with a moderately loaded lead round nose (1.135") until it spun free.

On the way to the range the first time, I was a little worried I may have just ruined a $145 barrel, but it shot perfectly, cycled reliably and the rifling looks just like it did out of the factory. I call that a success! :D

From my "Redneck Gunsmithing" thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171217&page=1

Well, I think I´m too much German to do it the redneck-way.

But I will look to ream it as soon as possible.

Absolutely. I think there were more FPs that didnt work than did work when I tried out loads. I tried factory as well as reloads, where I played with the OAL to no avail.

In the end I gave up on FPs and went with JHPs and it's been flawless ever since.