Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ballistic Calculator

jackson923

Tip: On the paid version of Strelok, it has a truing feature. This turned out to be very useful and matched up the real bullet performance data to make the drop table more accurate. I have good confidence with Strelok that it matches the round I'm using, and it has worked at matches well when I do my part. :)

Edited by AustinWolv

I have Strelok+ (paid version of the app). My first real use of it was at a long range rifle match last weekend. I had just rerun chrono data with a MagnetoSpeed; it gave pretty consistent results for my Hornady 140gr A-Max that were a bit higher muzzle velocity than I had previously gotten with my CED.

So, armed with (1) a 100yd zero, (2) known scope height, (3) good chrono data, and (4) Strelok+, I engaged and hit targets between 475 and 1050 yards. We had up to three shots at every target and wind was shifting, sustained up to 12mph with stronger gusts. Every elevation setting I entered based on Strelok+ was pretty much spot on. I held high and low on target to account for the variations of head- and tail-winds, but I never adjusted my elevation turret off the initial come-ups provided by the app.

Granted, I have an Android so Shooter isn't an option for me, but I am sold on Strelok+.

I'm going to repeat something here - everyone is assuming that the OP wants a portable ballistic calculator on an iPhone or something. If the only thing you want to do is make some drop charts or experiment with things, you would be far better off using a free online calculator.

Granted, I have an Android so Shooter isn't an option for me, but I am sold on Strelok+.

Shooter is a great option for both Android and Apple platforms.

My mistake—I thought Shooter was an iOS only app.

I'm going to repeat something here - everyone is assuming that the OP wants a portable ballistic calculator on an iPhone or something. If the only thing you want to do is make some drop charts or experiment with things, you would be far better off using a free online calculator.

True enough. The JBM Ballistics calculator is very good, and the library of commercial bullets is very easy to use.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi