Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is 7 lb pull a big disadvantage?

3gunyotehtr

I was wondering just how big of a disadvantage I would be at running a 7 lb trigger verses everybody else 6 and under. Sorry for the dumb questions. I'm trying to get a handle on this revolver shooting. Where is the proper spot to measure the pull? If I pull straight back it measures a touch over 7 if I let it slip down toward the bottom about 6lb 14 oz. I like the added security of reliable hits but I don't want to put myself at a huge disadvantage either. Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it.

I don't think there is much of an advantage below 7. I was running at 6 and I added a little weight back on because I found it too easy to skip by a chamber when i paused to correct a sight picture.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Smooth, especially on the reset, and reliable is way more important than a pound of pull. I guarantee you won't notice it on most courses. The ones you might are 32 round field course with not a lot of running, your finger will start feeling sluggish. Or a long range hard shot, and even in that you probably aren't at a disadvantage. What will get your attention is a click, when you expect bang. That fouls up even the best of minds.

You'll be fine with a nice smooth 7-pound pull.

My personal competition revolvers are all at least 6 to 6.5 pounds. My former revolversmith (he quit working on guns a couple years ago) told me that the super-light action jobs all suffer from two problems: (1) sluggish trigger rebound, and (2) occasional ignition issues.

My Carmonized trigger on my 627 super hovers @ or below 7 I believe but I've actually never put a gauge on it b/c it's smoooth like buttuh and always goes boom (thanks Mr. Carmoney :bow: ) so I can focus my attention on getting my right index finger to pull it back straight, and my weak hand to quit pulling to the left, and keep my grip high enough, and sometimes pay attention to the front sight, etc...

I was wondering just how big of a disadvantage I would be at running a 7 lb trigger verses everybody else 6 and under. Sorry for the dumb questions. I'm trying to get a handle on this revolver shooting. Where is the proper spot to measure the pull? If I pull straight back it measures a touch over 7 if I let it slip down toward the bottom about 6lb 14 oz. I like the added security of reliable hits but I don't want to put myself at a huge disadvantage either. Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it.

The shooting of a trigger in the range of maybe 5 - 7 pounds is really not much difference, but what makes a difference is how smoothly it pulls and how clean the break is. A smooth trigger that has been tricked out by a good smith will always feel lighter than it is and a gritty trigger with creep always feels heavier than it is. The 686 I shot for a lot of years had a 5.5# DA pull but was so smooth you couldn't believe it. It always felt very light to me. The 66 that I shoot now is more like 7 - 7.5# because it has to fire crappy ammo but the difference in pull weight is not really noticable. Edited by bountyhunter

My Carmonized trigger on my 627 super hovers @ or below 7 I believe but I've actually never put a gauge on it b/c it's smoooth like buttuh and always goes boom (thanks Mr. Carmoney :bow: ) so I can focus my attention on getting my right index finger to pull it back straight, and my weak hand to quit pulling to the left, and keep my grip high enough, and sometimes pay attention to the front sight, etc...

I've seen what a Carmonized hammer looks like, but what's the trigger?

Edited by FWSixgunner

I've seen what a Carmonized hammer looks like, but what's the trigger?
Sorry, sort of poorly worded. I meant "trigger on my carmonized 627." I know mike worked on the whole gun including the trigger and I noted a new trigger stop, but I can't speak to exactly what work he did on each part.