Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live Fire Advice - Match Prep

Dkrad1935

I am shooting in a match this saturday in Hot Springs with my 14 year old son. Live fire has been pretty infrequent over the past two months so I arranged to get access to a range tomorrow night for a little bit and we will be able to get on the other side of the firing line to set up some targets, etc.

I am looking for advice on any live fire drills that you might use in prep for a match.

My assessment of my weaknesses are 1)shooting while moving, 2)entering into a position ready to fire, 3)firing around cover. Yes - I have many more weaknesses than that, but a man has to focus! I have set up some small scenarios in the bonus room to begin working on those things, but just curious if there are any good drills for live fire that either focus on those areas or that you routinely do the week before a match.

Thanks for the input! pretty excited about this match - it is my son's first sanctioned match and my second one. Everyone knows the first one doesn't count right?

The way I usually blow the first stage of the match is by blasting away with lousy trigger control. So I'd definitely practice some medium to long shots (15-25 yards, with good hits) under time pressure as part of your warm up session.

See you at the match btw. I like dot torture for trigger control and well roundedness. Works for the 'aim small, miss small' way of thinking. But you can do that drill on any ol' regular square range.

Based on what you said I would do what I call my Set-Up drill. (standardized by Gordon Carrol he calls 1 Setup 1) Take a barricade and place 1 or 2 targets 10yards in front of it. At the start position, which is 2 yards to either side and 1 yard back, place a target in the open 10-15 yards in front of you.

On the buzzer, draw and engage that target w/however many you want then move to the barricade and roll out shooting the target(s) you placed from cover. Do it both directions. You get draw, movement to cover quickly, use of cover, breaking a shot from stopping and so on.

For reference I do it clean anywhere from 2.80 to 3.0 with one shot draw and one shot on one target from barricade.

This one drill covers a majority of what you consider your weaknesses.

Nope, only 12 guys in esp ex so only 1st place got the bump to master. I still have a little bit to work on before I'm ready for that leap. My day will come. Sorry you didn't win a gun,what with having a ringer up there doing the drawing. =)

• 3 weeks later...