Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sticking on decapping and sizing die

3djedi

I have a new LNL ap press and horandy dies. On the decapping and sizing die I'm having to push pretty hard to get the 9mm case into and out of the die. I'm not using case lube. Should I be? Anything else that would cause this? I run a single case through the press and all the other dies run smoothly. Just the sizing die is difficult.....

I have a new LNL ap press and horandy dies. On the decapping and sizing die I'm having to push pretty hard to get the 9mm case into and out of the die. I'm not using case lube. Should I be? Anything else that would cause this? I run a single case through the press and all the other dies run smoothly. Just the sizing die is difficult.....

You do realize that the sizing die is working the brass, literally reforming it to a smaller size? You are forcibly pushing a brass object into another metal object to force it to become smaller. Lubricant can make this process go easier as others have stated.

Edited by RDA

get couple cans of one shot.

what i do is : i put a batch of case the mouth side up , i then spray them making sure the stuff goes Inside the case,just a thin film is enough. i keep untreated cases in another tray.

between 3 sprayed cases i insert 2 unsprayed . the action is so much silky,like knife in butter.

You put lube INSIDE the case?

They are the hornady series 2 dies. I was told you didn't need lube with these dies on pistol cartridges. I found some lube last night and put it on one case and tried it. Much smoother.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Spray some one shot in the sizing die every 50 or so rounds...works for me and keeps it clean. But in reality, these are carbide dies, so you shouldn't need lube on the cases or in the die.

I also use the LNL but have it set up as an ammo plant.

How is your press mounted? Is it sturdy (read no movement)? That can have some effect as well on the operations, if it's not locked down.

They are the hornady series 2 dies. I was told you didn't need lube with these dies on pistol cartridges. I found some lube last night and put it on one case and tried it. Much smoother.

Spray the outside. I put a few handfuls of brass in a large ziplock and lay them all on their sides. Spray the lube and then shake them up in the bag. You don't have to use a lot or coat every case completely.

Spray the outside. I put a few handfuls of brass in a large ziplock and lay them all on their sides. Spray the lube and then shake them up in the bag. You don't have to use a lot or coat every case completely.

Great idea. Thanks!

You don't 'need' lube for straight-walled/tapered pistol brass, but it sure can help.

I have big jugs of cleaned 'ready to load' 9mm cases.

I have some smaller coffee jugs with lids of my 'working cases,' which probably holds 1k+ cases.

Open top of jug, shake One Shot, spray a quick mist, close lid and shake jug to distribute a bit. Open lid, repeat once including shake, let it dry while loading up primer tubes..ready to go, dump 1/3rd or so at a time into the case feeder and off you go. (In my case, LnL AP, but same applies regardless of press).

What are "these" as the link just goes to their web site.

Guessing it goes to their "U" die. The Lee version is another option. In my limited experience 9mm isn't as susceptible at .40 to this phenomenon. I load range pick up and had trouble with properly sizing 9mm until I went to a properly adjusted Lee U die and started using one shot. Also making sure the shell plate is properly adjusted (no slop) helps too. After adding these steps I have smooth operation and a low reject rate. Absolutely necessary? No. Worth the extra time money and effort? For me yes.

it does nothing bad because it evaporate in couple minutes leaving a thin film of ''hardened''' lube.nothing to mess with the powder 100% affirmative about that .

Guessing it goes to their "U" die. The Lee version is another option. In my limited experience 9mm isn't as susceptible at .40 to this phenomenon. I load range pick up and had trouble with properly sizing 9mm until I went to a properly adjusted Lee U die and started using one shot. Also making sure the shell plate is properly adjusted (no slop) helps too. After adding these steps I have smooth operation and a low reject rate. Absolutely necessary? No. Worth the extra time money and effort? For me yes.

The lee does won't size for bulged brass like the EGW (according to the interwebs). EGW specifically calls out that their dies have a radius that allows the die to size further down the case to eliminate any case bulge. That is specifically why I went with their undersized die, due to issues with my KKM barrel in my M&P.

I have thrown out about 200 pcs of 9MM brass that had case bulges due to being shot out of a Glock so I have to disagree with you about the 9mm.

The lee does won't size for bulged brass like the EGW (according to the interwebs). EGW specifically calls out that their dies have a radius that allows the die to size further down the case to eliminate any case bulge. That is specifically why I went with their undersized die, due to issues with my KKM barrel in my M&P.

I have thrown out about 200 pcs of 9MM brass that had case bulges due to being shot out of a Glock so I have to disagree with you about the 9mm.

At what power factor, and what brass brands?

I've got thousands of 9mm run through Glocks then reloaded in Minor PF that would counter your disagreement. ;)

The issue w/original Glock .40s is well known, but I think this one's taken on a life of it's own across 'oh, all Glock brass has issues.'

??

I've got thousands of 9mm run through Glocks then reloaded in Minor PF that would counter your disagreement. ;)

The issue w/original Glock .40s is well known, but I think this one's taken on a life of it's own across 'oh, all Glock brass has issues.'

??

I have never seen an issue with any 9mm Glock rounds and agree that the Glock .40 issue has evolved into all Glocks (incorrectly).

It's sticking right at the top of the stroke where it cams over. Stick on the way back too. Even a peice of brass that has been sized already does the same.

??

I have very little 9mm that has these problems if any, I don't know about Glock or not but I have a bunch of range pickup .45 brass that look like they are pregnant and have been holding off on getting a U die

??

R-P brass for the most part, but mixed head stamps such as S&B, PMC and other names. All the brass I picked up was range shoots and there are few people that shoot Major 9 at my range (IDPA) and the ones that do collect their brass or have markings on them so they know.