Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters?

bigarm

Took a new competitor clinic today and plan to start shooting USPSA matches. I used a leather holster that I had on hand. I found I fumbled with re-holstering. I think that a kydex holster would help with that. Now, I won't be a great shooter by any stretch of the imagination, but don't want to fumble around and make a mistake. What holsters for 1911's would you suggest? It would be nice if it held the pistol secure, was easy to holster and easy on and off. I don't have to have the latest, greatest, just something functional. My wife will need one as well, so cost is somewhat of a factor, but I don't want to sacrifice safety and usefullness to save a couple of bucks.

Kydex is certainly prefer to leather. Lots of good choices. Uncle Mike's and fobus are cheap but work fine for beginners. Blade tech, comp tac, Center of Mass kydex, and others are fairly similar in price and all work well. These dealers also tend to have some type of competition pack which includes magazine pouches.

The biggest advantage of kydex over leather for competition is the smooth and consistent draw. Leather binds. Having it stay open after the draw is a benefit however using your leather holster should not be a safety issue.

You are never required to reholster on the clock. Take all the time and care you need to reholster your gun safely.

DOH is dropped and offset to get the gun a little lower and a little further from the body. They are the exact same holster except the DOH has a removable bracket which can be removed

So Sarge, is the DOH USPSA and multigun legal? You said the bracket is removable. So if you remove it, is it a regular paddle holster? I appreciate the help.

Correct. USPSA Single Stack or IDPA would require the removal of the DOH attachment which is not a difficult task.

You also might have to shim or slightly reangle the DOH to ensure the handle of your gun is no greater than two inches from the inside of your belt.

So Sarge, is the DOH USPSA and multigun legal? You said the bracket is removable. So if you remove it, is it a regular paddle holster? I appreciate the help.

yep the blade tech DOH holster is a stingray with a bracket. Don't know about multigun but the holster is good to go in USPSA in one configuration or another depending on division.

Six screws hold the bracket on. Once you look at one you will see how easy it is to convert. :)

Thanks everyone! That gives me the information I need I think. The comp tac comes in red. Perfect for my wife. Now I have to decide for myself. The Blade Tech, comp tac and center of mass all look nice.

The other two makers quote a time line on their website, but the blade tech doesn't. Know how long they take? It does look the most interesting.

Edited by bigarm

the bladetech is a great choice for a first USPSA/IDPA holster. it's cheap, robust, easy to use and performs well. I personally like a race type holster that retains just by the trigger guard, but that's not suitable for all games nor all budgets. so for you the bladetech sounds like the best choice. :)

The other two makers quote a time line on their website, but the blade tech doesn't. Know how long they take? It does look the most interesting.

don't order from blade tech unless they are having some special sale or something. Order it from shooters connection. You will have it in a few days and it will be cheaper.

Make sure to tell shooters connection you are a forum member for special discount pricing

Works fine for uspsa but for 3 gun I would look at a retention holster. With the amount if movement we do in 3 gun a retention holster prevents the gun from coming out when running goin prone jumping off or on something snagging it in a prop or buttstock etc. The extra half second or less depending on the holster for a draw in 3 gun is more than made up by not having to hold the pistol when running or worse getting a dq for it falling out

I ordered a Blade-Tech OWB with D/OS paddle and 2 double mag pouches for myself today. Since my wife loves red, we ordered her a comp tac paddle holster and belt-feed mag pouch in red for her. Hope these work out as money doesn't grow on trees for us.

I've got a Blade tech and a Comptac. Both are nice holsters and both can be tightened done for plenty of retention or loosened up for a very quick draw. I lean a little toward the Comptac but you can't go wrong with either.