Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays vs ClayDot

v1911

Like many of you, I love Clays. Load it for 9mm, .40 S&W and .45ACP. Unfortunately the current reloading climate (and a factory fire) has really put a hurt on powder selection. So when I began to run low on Clays, I read up on ClayDot. Was able to acquire a few pounds just as my supply of Clays dried up. Had a chance to compare two loads to really see for myself if they were in fact identical to each other.

Test Bullet: Bayou Bullets 147gr FN

Test Gun: Gans Gun 2011 5" 9mm

Clays 2.8gr. 1.150 OAL

Avg. 892fps 131PF

ClayDot 2.8gr 1.145 OAL

Avg. 880fps 129PF

It could be the small test sample, but it would appear that ClayDot is a perfect replacement for Clays. Increasing the charge to 3.0gr yielded a miniscule difference in fps. Reducing the OAL to 1.115 also had no impact in fps.

ClayDot 3.0gr 1.145 OAL

Avg. 887 130PF

ClayDot 3.0gr. 1.115 OAL

949 - discarded from results

Avg. 881 129PF

Again, just a small test sample but I do like that ClayDot seems to be more consistent shot to shot than Clays. These were my results, YMMV.

Thanks for the report. I was going to jump on the next Clay DoT I came across based on what I had read too.

In your first sample why did you change the COL between the two powders?

Was the brass, bullets and primers you used the same brand?

Thanks again!

Mixed brass was used during testing. All rounds fired used bayou bullets 147gr fn and ignited with Winchester SPP. My original load for my 2011 used an OAL of 1.150. But I started shooting an XDs for an upcoming BUG match and an OAL of 1.145 worked best. There was no impact in using the shorter OAL in my 2011 so for simplicity sake, I load all my 9mm at 1.145 now.

By all accounts Clays and ClayDot are clean burning. I haven't had any issues with metering but others have had to take steps to insure consistent throws. If you do some searching I'm sure you can find a few threads concerning Clays and Dillon powder hoppers.

Edited by v1911

how well does clays meter? Is it a clean burning powder?

In my experience ClayDot is a direct replacement for Clays.... I have used up 10lbs so far and can see no need go back to Clays.

The reason I asked about clays is because its one of the few powders still on the shelves where I'm at.

If it isn't price too high, buy it!

Prior to the powder price hike, I was able to walk in and but a pound of Clays for $18. That shot up to $25 overnight then became unobtainable.

So the actual powder I got was universal clays....didn't know there was so many variations.

Hodgdon has the max listed at 3.3 grs...which according to their chart doesn't make the 130PF I'm looking for.

Has anyone used universal with a 147gr plated bullet?