Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dry fire question.

Dewberry

So as a college student who lives in a dorm state law prohibits me from having any of my guns in my dorm room. This makes dryfire practice on a regular basis nearly impossible. So I bought a blue gun to practice dry fire in my dorm. I have my belt with holster a blue gun that matches my pistol (m&p 9mm) and a couple 1/3 scale IPSC targets. And recommendation on what I can practice with the blue gun other than draws from holster? Thanks for the help guys

Edited by Dewberry

Proper movement with sights on target (forward, backward, side-to-side, diagonal)

Draws off a table (and various iterations, such as seated, standing, from a drawer, etc.)

Transition from strong hand to weak hand.

Various kneeling positions (get into the position, fire, get out)

Prone (same-- into, through, beyond)

Firing around barricades

Firing through barricades of various heights

Entering and exitting firing boxes/positions

Aiming on unstable surfaces

When working with the blue gun should I just squeeze the trigger to simulate a trigger pull even though it won't move at all or just get a acceptable sight picture and move on without ever applying pressure to the trigger.

As for actual dry fire, you could consider another training gun with functional trigger (and/ or recoil and/ or laser) for pretty cheap.

An airsoft replica (if allowed), with our without slide recoil/ gas blow back (search m&p gas blow back). There are some airsoft laser inserts on the market as well.

A BB gun (if allowed), might work as well (just firing CO2 and no BB). Smith & Wesson sells a branded (by Umarex USA) one that claims to have a realistic trigger.

idryfire (under Products) sells a trainer that has a functioning trigger and accepts a laser insert.

iMarksman (under Products -> Civilian -> iMarksman Simulators) sells an M&P trainer with or without a laser insert.

you can do a lot of drills and mini stages

It would need to be a big dorm room for mini stages.

Yeah the only stages I could set up would be with no movement, since the beds are bunked and the desks and dressers are pushed against the wall I pretty much have a 6 foot be 20 foot sized area to work with.

As for actual dry fire, you could consider another training gun with functional trigger (and/ or recoil and/ or laser) for pretty cheap.

An airsoft replica (if allowed), with our without slide recoil/ gas blow back (search m&p gas blow back). There are some airsoft laser inserts on the market as well.

A BB gun (if allowed), might work as well (just firing CO2 and no BB). Smith & Wesson sells a branded (by Umarex USA) one that claims to have a realistic trigger.

idryfire (under Products) sells a trainer that has a functioning trigger and accepts a laser insert.

iMarksman (under Products -> Civilian -> iMarksman Simulators) sells an M&P trainer with or without a laser insert.

No BB guns or airsoft guns according to school policies. I had to jump through a couple hoops just to not get in trouble for a blue gun.

I will have to look into those laser trainer though, I might be able to convince them they are "safe"

I didn't see SIRT pistol trainer mentioned, that's probably the best self-contained dry fire trainer that doesn't involve using a real gun. Its just a piece of plastic (or metal, depending on model) with a trigger and a laser, no more dangerous than a $10 laser pointer (just a different form factor for a laser pointer really).

Advantage in your case for this is

- resetting trigger to practice trigger control

- weighted dummy magazines for practicing reloads

You might get one of the brightly colored ones that looks like a toy so no confusion.

EDIT: BTW, if your school hasn't banned nerf guns or toys like laser tag, you should be OK.

EDIT2: If the school was giving me a hard time about even a SIRT, I'd spray paint the SIRT white, spray paint a holster I use with it white, add some orange pinstripe tape accent to holster and maybe pistol. Get a star wars poster (Princess Leia) and some Han Solo crap to put in the corner of the room, and pretend to be a star wars nut. Maybe some yellow shooting glasses and a white skateboard helmet with a star wars sticker. People would think I was a nut, but I'd get to dry fire ...

Edited by trgt

Anything that fires a projectile is definitely against the rules.

As far as a sirt, I would like to get one but it would be in a gray area of the rules, I'm going to have to wait for me to release the m&p model for sale, and I'm in college so I'm broke so I'll have to save up anyway.

So for the time being I wanna try and find some fry fire drills that don't involve pulling the trigger, nimitz mentioned something about a book by "Ben". I'm going to sound stupid here but Ben who?

http://www.amazon.com/Lazer-Nerf-Two-Player-Battle-System/dp/B0026J7EIO/

http://www.amazon.com/Nubee®-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK/

http://nextleveltraining.com/content/sirt-performer-gr

... all things with handles, triggers and lasers ... all would seem to be safe, unless nerf guns not allowed because they fire a projectile?

No nerf. I want a sirt but I'm waiting on them to come out with a m&p version for sale and I need to save up the money for it.

If I'm going to spend the money I wanna get something more realistic than a laser thermometer. But it is a creative idea and has me thinking about what I could build for cheap from a laser pointer

Edit: words

Edited by Dewberry

So for the time being I wanna try and find some fry fire drills that don't involve pulling the trigger, nimitz mentioned something about a book by "Ben". I'm going to sound stupid here but Ben who?

Ben Stoeger's books (he replied to your post a little bit above), and he has several titles to choose from. You may want to PM him for a suggestion on which of his titles may be most appropriate for your particular circumstances.

On a side note, bear in mind that there are some things you can do to help your game that don't involve a gun, such as working on your visual and mental focus. You can also get some "training" in via mental visualizations. Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning in Mind" is an excellent resource. There's also exercise that emaphasizes the sort of physical activity found in shooting scenarios (ie, fast accelerating bursts of speed followed by fast stops) as well as cardio to help control the heart rate. You could work on this stuff during the week, and maybe gun work on the weekend or otherwise off campus. While this may not sound ideal, it's probably not a whole lot of a different situation than many shooters find themselves in who don't have time to practice during the week due to family and work obligations.

EDIT2: If the school was giving me a hard time about even a SIRT, I'd spray paint the SIRT white, spray paint a holster I use with it white, add some orange pinstripe tape accent to holster and maybe pistol. Get a star wars poster (Princess Leia) and some Han Solo crap to put in the corner of the room, and pretend to be a star wars nut. Maybe some yellow shooting glasses and a white skateboard helmet with a star wars sticker. People would think I was a nut, but I'd get to dry fire ...

Funny as hell!

If you use the blue gun,

I would just use it to train getting an acceptable sight picture, and to that end you need to put a set of real sights on the blue gun. Sounds odd perhaps but not difficult to install a set of the same sights you use on your competition gun. Have to hand cut the required dovetails into the plastic gun. But when you are done you will be able to reproduce the precise sight picture.

Given your limitations I think this is viable should you not be able to do airsoft, SIRT etc.

Good luck amigo!

I like the idea of installing real sight on it but don't like the idea at all of spending money on sights so I'm thinking file down the blue gun "sights" till they match the deminsions of the sight on my m&p and maybe drill q hole and install a FO rod in the front sight. Or maybe just a dot of red paint.

Also I like the star wars idea, its extremely creative. Problem is my best chance at this is the I'm an extremely responsible competitive shooter who is very safe and wants to follow the rules. Cause even toys guns are not allowed in the dorm.

Edited by Dewberry

Something that can help make your blue gun more "real" is to jam some lead into the grip area, maybe even the slide/barrel areas, and probably double the weight of your dorm gun. Go to the fishing section of Walmart, most of them have a good selection of fishing sinkers. Guestimate what will fit into your grip, buy them, buy some epoxy putty (automotive section), (talking 10-15 bucks), take them home, grab your dad/brother/uncle's electric drill and hollow out enough space to tap in the lead sinkers, follow each one with epoxy then paint blue or purple or whatever over the plugged end.

I once took the best-fit magical size sinker that I hammered and hammered to fit above the brass backstrap fitting of a Dawson Glock magwell; you don't have to hammer anything unless you want to square off the shape a little and line up more sinkers in the same hole. If you try it, shoot me a PM, like to know how heavy you get it to. If you F it up badly enough also let me know I'll buy you a new blue gun.

Something that can help make your blue gun more "real" is to jam some lead into the grip area, maybe even the slide/barrel areas, and probably double the weight of your dorm gun. Go to the fishing section of Walmart, most of them have a good selection of fishing sinkers. Guestimate what will fit into your grip, buy them, buy some epoxy putty (automotive section), (talking 10-15 bucks), take them home, grab your dad/brother/uncle's electric drill and hollow out enough space to tap in the lead sinkers, follow each one with epoxy then paint blue or purple or whatever over the plugged end.

I once took the best-fit magical size sinker that I hammered and hammered to fit above the brass backstrap fitting of a Dawson Glock magwell; you don't have to hammer anything unless you want to square off the shape a little and line up more sinkers in the same hole. If you try it, shoot me a PM, like to know how heavy you get it to. If you F it up badly enough also let me know I'll buy you a new blue gun.

Yeah I've thought about doing this. I'll probably weight my m&p then the blue gun and make up the differance using lead.

In the long run I want to hollow out the mag well and install a working mag release and try and find some way to make the trigger move and feel kinda realistic.

You might want to try this plastic dry fire gun. I have used in in the past for new shooters to feel the reset. Cheap alternative to SIRT.

dry-fire.com

Laserlyte has a trainer but have never tried.

Good luck.

Edited by Doug*