Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun weapons manipulation

I'm newer to 3 gun. This last weekend I shot my 4th ever 3 gun match in the last 3 years. We shot the 3gun nation classifier flying by 2. My time was 11.46 on it. I shot it clean and just as fast total time as the match winners did but after watching video my transitioning between guns sucks. What do you guys do for practicing this? My pistol work is fine since I shoot mostly uspsa and my shooting is on par but the operation of safeties and transferring guns needs work.

Did you start with shotgun or rifle? Shotgun start is faster for me since you can burn the extra rounds and dispense with the shotgun safety manipulation; just toss it in the barrel. What part did you feel hung you up? 11.46 ain't bad.

1st you "double seated" your rifle mag.

2nd you had to make sure by "double checking" your rifle was on safe and then then safely in the barrel.

3rd you fiddled with the shotgun safety a bunch before you shouldered the gun.

Looks like more time with the guns to me...not BIG stuff, just normal new to the platform work the needs to be had.

But I bet you want a cooler answer than that Aaron and I don't have one.

Nope, those were the answers I was looking for. I just am wondering short of hitting the range are people practicing this, or is their some dryfire way they are doing it. I guess short of building a dump barrel for my basement I need to hit the range more. Another question. When starting low ready with gun in hand does safety have to be engaged?

You are plenty quick with the shooting and your rifle mag change was good (though I'd try not to drop the stock off the shoulder so much). I can't say it was just the shotgun safety that slowed you down, but also the safety engagement on the rifle (and sort of "babying" it into the barrel). That's why I go shotgun first - burn the extra rounds and just throw that thing in the barrel quick; eliminates a step. My best so far on Flying by 2 going shotgun first is 11.08.

Flying by 2 with Heavy Gear.

I left some room to improve if only to not 'double clutch" on the pump gun.

I had not shot Heavy Gear in about two years.

thats awesome, what i love is that it doesnt even look like your going fast because its soo smooth, something to learn here for sure!

2nd you had to make sure by "double checking" your rifle was on safe and then then safely in the barrel.

This is what I noticed as much as anything. It was guided in with two hands, whereas getting it there with two hands, but then guiding it in with one hand while reaching for the transition gun with the other hand is commonly seen.

When starting low ready with gun in hand does safety have to be engaged?

My personal opinion regardless of the rules is that yes, the safety should be on any time you aren't on target. The quick flip of a safety on/off takes no time at all and could save your butt or others' should something go awry when running around. It is even faster if you use a short-throw selector. :)

Just my opinion.

Thanks AustinWolv. I did start on safe just wanted to know if that was correct or preferred. Also some guys started whith the gun aimed down but they were basically also down on the gun in firing position. I know we are talking minute things but that's what makes the difference between mine and Mr. Kelleys run in the end.

I always start with the gun shouldered when possible/allowed. It may be a SPLIT second faster the start with eyes on the target, but if you miss your first shot because you missed the butt-pad...

JW

Yes, you are correct, another little thing that adds up........have the rifle shouldered but the muzzle just below your belt. Snap it up on target and off you go. Rifle shouldered and in your shooting pocket, should be able to just bring the rifle up by rolling the butt off the bottom point of the buttpad right up your shoulder. Head and body don't even move, as you bring the rifle up to your cheek weld, not your body to the rifle. Slight dip here, always learning. :)

Edited by AustinWolv

I place all three weapons on my bed empty on safe bolt forward. I draw the pistol from holster dry fire as fast as possible 7 targets. Ditch the safe pistol on the bed essentially throwing it then I grab the shotgun dry fire and place on safe and ditch and do the same with rifle. Also, switch which weapon you use first throw in a reload to the mix. I think this is good practice. I usually go through 21 targets and 3 weapons transitions in 12 seconds. I really think it helps! If nothing else it is definitely weapons manipulation..

I bet that if you try it again in some warmer weather your gun manipulation will speed up. 23 degrees with that stiff breeze was getting to us all for sure.

It will also pay off to add a second gun to your practice regiment. Even if its just one shot add a longgun in and out of a barrel before you shoot your pistol.

Carl

I like Jeremy's use of the bed. Are you going to train to gain a high level of skill at firearms manipulation or are you going to train to shoot 3GN classifier stages fast?

If training for skill, practice staging and picking up from tables, chairs, out of barrels, leaning against a wall, flat on the ground, etc. Practice grounding them w/ the same conditions.

If training to shoot classifiers really fast, no doubt setting up the same stage in the basement or garage w/ tables and barrels is better.

I'll be training for skill. After shooting the 3 gun nation classifier though, I thought they would make nice practice stages. Especially for practicing the little time killers like the weapons manipulations and general gun handling. It was a pleasure shooting with you last weekend Carl.

Not meaning to hijack the thread... but AustinWolv, did you notice that your camera man is in front of the firing line on your second stage when you transition to pistol?

For the OP, hey at least you remembered to do the mag change! First time I shot that stage I got the to 6th target and remembered just in time to change it out but I still got hit with a procedural.

JPeel, it was a strange stage setup with the targets very flat against the side berm. There was live parking probably no more than 10 feet back from where the guy was and he should have flowed left behind the dummy stage car where most people were hanging out.

Edited by AustinWolv