Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifiers Reinstated

ZackJones

From the most recent BoD Phone in Meeting Minutes:

Clasification [sic] Update

Motion: To reinstate classifiers previously removed on Jan

31st until suitable replacements are proposed and approved.

Moved: Pres Seconded: A8 PASSED

A1 No

A2 Yes

A3 Yes

A4 Yes

A5 No

A6 Yes

A7 Yes

A8 Yes

Pres Yes

Edited by ZackJones

I saw that. Does anyone have any idea how they're going to handle the lower times from the 8-shot guns? Have the high hit factors been adjusted or do they intend to flag the abnormal looking scores?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

It only affects Revolver division, and you guys wanted a division where 8 shot minor guns could play alongside 6 shot major guns......

Why would anything need adjusting immediately? If the HHF is eclipsed in a verifiable, way, it should be raised.....

Classifiers have occasionally been adjusted up......

Until then, pick your gun and shoot.....

It only affects Revolver division, and you guys wanted a division where 8 shot minor guns could play alongside 6 shot major guns......

Why would anything need adjusting immediately? If the HHF is eclipsed in a verifiable, way, it should be raised.....

Classifiers have occasionally been adjusted up......

Until then, pick your gun and shoot.....

Agreed.

There is another option for Competitors already classified. You can mark your Classifier Score Sheet and request to not have it count, as it is not indicative of your skill level. Usually this is done if you had a serious problem, but until the HHF get adjusted naturally it is an option. That way you don't have "throw" a classifier by going 6 with an 8 shot at a local match. Or not worry about it, for unless you're real close to moving up and/or shoot a whole slew of the 6 shot dis-advantaged classifiers I doubt if it will make a lot of difference.

But, remember some of those Classifiers were set at a % of another Division and had no true Revolver GM HHF set. And I think that is one of the issues when some have stated the Classifier System wasn't worth much in Revo Division.

If you're new to Revo Division but have a class in another division, take your best shot.

If you're new to USPSA then I'd recommend reloading after 6 even with an 8 shot in a classifier. Though with most newbies that's should be the least of their concerns.

Over the years, USPSA has set the classifier HHFs for Revolver Division in different ways. For a long time, they simply based the HHFs on a set percentage of the HHFs for Limited Division. (And for a long time, Jerry was the only one who made GM in Revolver, and there were only a handful of Masters.)

USPSA could easily adjust the HHFs on the affected classifiers to make them more realistic for the 8-minor wheels. Those who choose to shoot those classifers with 6-major would be at a disadvantage on those particular classifers, but that's not really a big deal because it's never going to drive a shooter's classification down from GM to M, or from B to C. Classifications only move up! Most of the time, those "bad" classifier runs are never going to be factored into the shooter's classification percentage anyway--the computer will knock them out.

This would go a long way toward helping prevent mass inflation in Revo classifications. It's already way too easy to make GM in Revolver Division.

• 2 months later...