Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you consider reloading a hobby?

Gooldylocks

Funny I like picking it up off the ground. I find it relaxing...like picking up nickels or something.

I too remember a time when picking up brass was enjoyable.

After a few years it felt like more of a "sickness". I'd be ready to shoot when a couple of Lake City 5.56 cases would catch my eye... I couldn't concentrate until I had them in my bucket. I swear I could hear 45 ACP brass by the sound it made when it hit the grass. Other shooters looked down the range at their targets while my eyes scanned the ground at the their feet.

After much time had passed I learned to leave a little brass behind. Soon I was stepping on perfectly good brass and driving it into the dirt.

Today I really just want my brass and leave the rest for others. All I really want is my brass... the brass that went through MY press without a hitch.

Yes, one time I enjoyed it, but now... not so much.

Don't fall into this vicious cycle :)

Edited by razorfish

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny I like picking it up off the ground. I find it relaxing...like picking up nickels or something.

I too remember a time when picking up brass was enjoyable.

After a few years it felt like more of a "sickness". I'd be ready to shoot when a couple of Lake City 5.56 cases would catch my eye... I couldn't concentrate until I had them in my bucket. I swear I could hear 45 ACP brass by the sound it made when it hit the grass. Other shooters looked down the range at their targets while my eyes scanned the ground at the their feet.

After much time had passed I learned to leave a little brass behind. Soon I was stepping on perfectly good brass and driving it into the dirt.

Today I really just want my brass and leave the rest for others. All I really want is my brass... the brass that went through MY press without a hitch.

Yes, one time I enjoyed it, but now... not so much.

Don't fall into this vicious cycle :)

Sounds exactly like my progression. I had a friend throw a handful of brass at my feet just before the guy said, "Make Ready". They all thought it was hilarious. A host of friends. I just stared at the brass until the timer went off.

Yeah....too late. I search the ground like golem looking for the one ring. On the plus side it does extend my time at the range and makes me think I did more shooting than I did.

My IDPA friends at the Range call me a brass chicken... head poppin up and down... walking in circles..... I know.. I'm sick.

I started reloading at age 12 with an old second hand Lee Loader and a plastic hammer for the .32 S&W my Great Grand Father Gave me for my Birthday. I don't miss pounding the old Lee Loader with the hammer but I sure would like to have that 4" .32 S&W back. To me it's just part of life. I shoot daily and load at least 3 times a week. I have never really thought about it but I must love it as I have been doing it for a long, long time.

Edited by bowenbuilt

• 2 weeks later...

It was a hobby that would keep me in 8mm Mauser ammo back in '67. In 1970 I got stationed in Idaho Falls for 6 months while in the Navy. I took my equipment with me. It went from hobby to necessity when my roommate and I were were blasting jack rabbits as a hobby every day we were off. Now THAT was a HOBBY.

The good old days, CCI primers $.50/100, Speer .308 100 grain "Plinkers" for $2.75/100(I had upgraded to a Rem 700 in 30.06) and buy it all at the local grocery store. Hodgdon 4831 was $.50/# at the local gun shop but you had to bring your own can because they dipped it out of a keg.

It was a hobby even an E-4 could afford.

Edited by RPatton