Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617, how low can yo go?

RussB

I'm talking about trigger pull weight. With the innards smoothed up and a 12# rebound spring I have it set at 8#. My particular strain screw is trimmed to .335" from the shoulder to the tip. I'm using the factory mainspring. I have no ignition issues with 2 different Federal 22's or CCI Mini-Mags.

I made another strain screw today (.320" long) which gives me a 7# pull, but I have to try it out...

How low can you go with the factory parts? How about with the Miculek mainspring? How about with that cool looking Apex hammer?

th_DSC06713.jpg

Edited by RussB

7lbs with federal bulk ammo is as low as I can go.... I can drop it down to 6 - 6.5 lbs, but ignition gets real spotty. 7lbs has been 100% for me.

apex hammer, Bang inc main spring, 11lb wolff rebound spring, stock firing pin.

I didnt notice THHHHHAT much difference going with the apex hammer, it helped a little - but nothing crazy. - Maybe 1/4 lb DA pull reduction over factor hammer

Edited by alecmc

That was my plan, but received the Apex hammer as gift before I had a chance to re-work the stock one.

What were you going to do to the stock one? I've only honed and polished mine, didn't change any springs due to reliability worries. It's pretty smooth but hellaciously heavy and desperately needs re-springing. I just don't want to mess up the hammer and have to re-fit one.

What were you going to do to the stock one? I've only honed and polished mine, didn't change any springs due to reliability worries. It's pretty smooth but hellaciously heavy and desperately needs re-springing. I just don't want to mess up the hammer and have to re-fit one.

After I made this thread, I did a search and came up with a lot of info regarding the 617. First off was that you cannot alter/lighten the hammer and expect reliability. Seems a rimfire round needs all the mass a hammer can deliver. The Apex hammer works because more weight is at the top in the area that contacts the firing pin...the thing actually LOOKS like a hammer!

That makes me wonder how a .500" target hammer would work? It has a larger thumbpiece, which would add mass up towards the top of the hammer...

The other info I gathered that a reliable 617 pull at 8# is the norm with factory parts and a reduced power rebound spring and trimmed strain screw. 7# is getting near the lowest possible but you often need aftermarket parts from mainsprings, extended FP's and the Apex hammer

I was also thinking about a more consistent way to measure actual hammer power, that is getting a reading on JUST the hammer. That would eliminate the extra power needed to compress the rebound spring, rotate the cylinder and all the other things that occur.

with the trigger held back, I measure 4# of hammer spring, which means I have almost 4# of "other" stuff going on at the same time

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know what mine pulls, but it's a damn site more than 7 or 8lbs. I have it apart right now and have added a Wilson 13lb rebound spring that I clipped two coils from.

So do I:

1) Bend the factory main and use stock strain screw?

2) Use the factory main as is and shorten the strain screw? (don't want it to knuckle)

3) Add a Wilson main and set the screw length as needed?

Jerry *bang inc* main spring

11 lb wolff rebound spring

stock firing pin

apex 617 hammer

federal bulk ammo

6.5lbs - 7lbs DA or so

What about the strain screw? Shortened or no? I'm gonna have to suffer the stock hammer for the time being.

stock firing pin

apex 617 hammer

federal bulk ammo

6.5lbs - 7lbs DA or so

What about the strain screw? Shortened or no? I'm gonna have to suffer the stock hammer for the time being.

I cant recall if I shortened mine or not. I know its Tightened all the way though. Start by experimenting by loosening it up to the desired weight. See if it works then cut it down to size...or just use purple or blue loc tite

stock firing pin

apex 617 hammer

federal bulk ammo

Same here, but factory hammer. 7.5lbs and it gets one light strike out of every 50, but I still think it's inconsistent brass, as I save them for later and hit them again and they still won't go off.

I did not shorten my strain screw, but it's all the way in tight, loctighted, and I have grips on it that I can keep an eye on it.

Edited by MWP

7ish lbs seems to be as low as it goes. Can be more depending on your ammo choice, and some ammo will require more hammer fall so it's nice to have a strain screw (like a loctited with purple 222 8-32 socket set screw) that allows you a range of adjustment. I use a Wolff reduced power mainspring (which can require a slightly longer than stock strain screw) and a rebound spring (clipped) as light as possible while still giving an acceptable trigger return. DON'T "bob" or lighten the hammer.

One FTF per 50 rds is ok for practice but not acceptable (to me anyway) for steel challenge. 1 in 200 is pretty good and I'm not sure you can expect any better from a rimfire.

I measured mine earlier today, just a hair over 6.5 lbs double action.

I did all 8 stages of steel challenge this past weekend with it--. 200 + rounds, and only had one light strike.

I measured mine earlier today...

With what?

a trigger pull gauge.

Perfect answer. The more you post, the better your trigger pull gets.... A few more and it will be down to 5 lbs.

I measured mine earlier today...

With what?

a trigger pull gauge.

Perfect answer. The more you post, the better your trigger pull gets.... A few more and it will be down to 5 lbs.

That'd be a pretty sweet deal.

I had thought it was set at 7lbs when I first did everything, went and checked today and it was at 6.5... Maybe it wore in, Do you think I'm lying or something ?

Edited by alecmc

That'd be a pretty sweet deal.

I had thought it was set at 7lbs when I first did everything, went and checked today and it was at 6.5... Maybe it wore in, Do you think I'm lying or something?

Simply wondering what kind (brand/type) of trigger pull gauge you're using.