Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL AP sticking in the upmost position

Mine gets stuck bad enough that it has broken the primer carrier a couple of times. It gets in a bind and I just quit using it. I loaded 6 rounds before it broke last time.

I'm not positive the problem you're describing here..

The primer shuttle, or the rod the shuttle roller/wheel presses against?

Have you stoned or sanded/polished your shuttles? I used an Arkansas stone on mine, wake all edges smooth, and put a slight downward bevel on the leading edge. Remove and blast out the slide/shuttle channel every few thousand rounds with air, and only use dry lube (or graphite) in there.

If the piece on the press holding the primer system 'guide rod' isn't adjusted properly (remove primer tube assembly, leave the bottom piece just above the slide in place, loosen allen screw at top of guide rod slightly, move so the hole in the primer slide goes just a tiny amount past center looking down, tighten), it can cause some priming issues..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also would check to see if was slightly out of time. A little out of time, and mine has locked up before. Have had other issues that have caused it to stop, and out of time, is one of them, especially when I adjusted it more than I should have.

• 6 months later...

I have had this same problem with my lnl with 9mm using hornady custom grade dies. problem is in the resizing decapping. i tried cleaning it with brake cleaner and started lubing all my cases with one shot. Lubing the cases helped a lot but never fully resolved the problem. went to an lee u-die instead for other reasons and seemed to be easier but never as smooth as some describe. always takes some effort (nothing too crazy) but i still wish it was smoother. Yesterday i tried running some 9mm through and forgot to spray it with one shot and was reminded how much effort it takes even with the Lee u die instead of the hornady die. I was looking for a solution when i first set up the press but kindof just accepted it after a while. this is the first post ive read with the same issue and hope to get some feedback or a solution to the problem. Im going to try and mess with this thing again now and see if i can find a fix. reading this has me thinking it is the press and not the dies after all.

I have had this same problem with my lnl with 9mm using hornady custom grade dies. problem is in the resizing decapping. i tried cleaning it with brake cleaner and started lubing all my cases with one shot. Lubing the cases helped a lot but never fully resolved the problem. went to an lee u-die instead for other reasons and seemed to be easier but never as smooth as some describe. always takes some effort (nothing too crazy) but i still wish it was smoother. Yesterday i tried running some 9mm through and forgot to spray it with one shot and was reminded how much effort it takes even with the Lee u die instead of the hornady die. I was looking for a solution when i first set up the press but kindof just accepted it after a while. this is the first post ive read with the same issue and hope to get some feedback or a solution to the problem. Im going to try and mess with this thing again now and see if i can find a fix. reading this has me thinking it is the press and not the dies after all.

Check the press timing unloaded - it shouldn't 'snap' harshly into place at each step, or needs adjustment.

Try raising your decapping pin a bit.

Question - just to confirm, does it bind at all/anywhere when not running cases through it?

Check the press timing unloaded - it shouldn't 'snap' harshly into place at each step, or needs adjustment.

Question - just to confirm, does it bind at all/anywhere when not running cases through it?

does not bind anywhere other than when a case is up in the resizing decapping die. Other than that station it is smooth. I've tried two different dies and without lubing the cases it hangs up. The hornady die a lot worse than the lee

Edited by Shmella

does not bind anywhere other than when a case is up in the resizing decapping die. Other than that station it is smooth. I've tried two different dies and without lubing the cases it hangs up. The hornady die a lot worse than the lee

How are your dies adjusted?

If you intentionally loosen the die so it just barely contacts the shell-plate, and run a few pieces of brass through - any difference?

ill try that again today, but im pretty sure i tried that a little while back. Im sure with research i could figure this one out, but when you say check the timing what is it exactly am im looking for if you dont mind me asking? the plate falls into the detents. are you saying the plate that has the holes for the detents might be off underneath the shell plate? (excuse my lack of proper terminology with these parts :blush: )

I didnt watch the video yet, ( im at work :ph34r: ) but i think i found the problem with my press at least. im going to do my best to describe whats going on. upon closer examination last night i noticed that under the first station ( i didnt really check any others) the shell doesnt quite line up under the die. it feeds in on a slight angle. if the shell could push in closer to the center to the shell plate it would line up fine. im going to call hornady to see if i can adjust anything but the only thing i can think of is maybe this shell plate could be the problem. the only solution i can think of is to take down a small amount of material on the shell plate so the case can sit a little closer to the center of the plate. Now im curious if Anyone else who is still having this problem has figured out a solution or if they were having this same issue.

I used to have a LNL. It was sticking in the up position too. It was not consistent and this was before I had a lockout powder die. As a result, I loaded my only batch of ammo with a few squibs mixed in. I parted ways with that LNL and bought a 650. The LNL has a few things that I like going for it. I like how the dies lock in so you can change one or two, I like how the dies lock in better. I like the spring shell holder thing. I think the case feeder worked as well if not a little better then the Dillon. That powder system and powder check are the fatal flaw, I loaded my only sqib ammo on that press... and its long gone. I am sure there is a way to fix and or correct this but....

I'm betting a nice blue paint job would probably fix the issue.....I don't own a LNL, but it does sound like a die issue....

And a blue paint job will fix this how exactly???Yes, it sounds like a sticking or dirty sizing die.

Camouflage. ...make the press think it's a Dillon...

I didnt watch the video yet, ( im at work :ph34r: ) but i think i found the problem with my press at least. im going to do my best to describe whats going on. upon closer examination last night i noticed that under the first station ( i didnt really check any others) the shell doesnt quite line up under the die. it feeds in on a slight angle. if the shell could push in closer to the center to the shell plate it would line up fine. im going to call hornady to see if i can adjust anything but the only thing i can think of is maybe this shell plate could be the problem. the only solution i can think of is to take down a small amount of material on the shell plate so the case can sit a little closer to the center of the plate. Now im curious if Anyone else who is still having this problem has figured out a solution or if they were having this same issue.

Check the link and watch the video - sounds like timing needs to be adjusted slightly, covered in the long vid..in reality, once you adjust it once, it's easy and quick to do again, although not needing to be done frequently at all..

I'm betting a nice blue paint job would probably fix the issue.....I don't own a LNL, but it does sound like a die issue....

And a blue paint job will fix this how exactly???Yes, it sounds like a sticking or dirty sizing die.

Camouflage. ...make the press think it's a Dillon...

It will then start jumping primers and grow a powder measure only slightly more modern than a Lee?!!!!! ;)

I used to have a LNL. It was sticking in the up position too. It was not consistent and this was before I had a lockout powder die. As a result, I loaded my only batch of ammo with a few squibs mixed in. I parted ways with that LNL and bought a 650. The LNL has a few things that I like going for it. I like how the dies lock in so you can change one or two, I like how the dies lock in better. I like the spring shell holder thing. I think the case feeder worked as well if not a little better then the Dillon. That powder system and powder check are the fatal flaw, I loaded my only sqib ammo on that press... and its long gone. I am sure there is a way to fix and or correct this but....

What was your issue with the PM? The PM actuator stuck up, or something else?

I watched the video, very helpful btw, and im going to try adjusting the pawls. that could be the issue but im afraid it is not lining up in a way it cant be adjusted. the pawls adjust left to right so to speak and i think the issue is more of a front to back kind of adjustment if that makes any sense. I'll adjust and follow up with the results.

I watched the video, very helpful btw, and im going to try adjusting the pawls. that could be the issue but im afraid it is not lining up in a way it cant be adjusted. the pawls adjust left to right so to speak and i think the issue is more of a front to back kind of adjustment if that makes any sense. I'll adjust and follow up with the results.

As in play in the ram or sub-plate?

If so, I'd be on the horn w/Hornady - have you spoken with them?

Try the timing adjustment, and if you can get some pictures showing the exact problem, post 'em.

It's also possible you have a bad shell plate, which Hornady would also replace at no cost..

I adjusted the pawls according to the video posted recommendations and it was very helpful. didnt solve the problem unfortunately. i also smoothed out the " snapping" according to another video i found in a link on here which smoothed out the operation but also didn't help, not that i thought that would. that being said i made a video ( a poor quality video) but you can see the issue ( i think) :surprise: i going to try my shell plate in my buddies press to see if it does the same in his but here's the video

• 4 weeks later...

This thread kinda died. Has anyone else had this problem? I never did try out my shell plate on my buddies press to confirm that I have a bad she'll plate but I was thinking about it again the other night as I was cranking out some rounds. I thought this might attribute to case bulging that I get all the time reloading 9mm as most of the time on one side of the case is worst than the other

As in, the die that is likely to be the cause of the binding is the expander die.

In my experiences, if it's dirty and clogged with brass/lead/lube shavings, it will bind on the downsstroke, or, with new brass that is burred, it does it too.

If it's been doing it since new, then the expander plug may be oversized or require polishing.

Edited by AusPPC

I am going to state the obvious.

Call Hornady, get their email,

and send them the video..

They will solve your problem

Simple solution that I will probably end up going with, but there is something about trying to figure it out on your own, or figure it out with the guidance of a fellow Benos member that keeps me from dialing them. That and the fact that I'm lazy and when I get home I don't feel like sitting on the phone with tech support and trouble shoot over the phone.Although the people from Hornady are very helpful (i had to get something replaced when i first bought the press and was happy with Hornady's customer service) I want to know what the problem is when I call to avoid the troubleshoot on the phone scenario. One of these days I will take my shell plate over to another press and test it compared to another shell plate. I'll take a video of that so I have proof that my Plate is indeed the problem. I was just wondering if any one else found that their press hangs up in the same manner that mine does as shown in the video.

Nobody can diagnose like the people that made it. I doubt you would have more than 15 minutes on the phone.

It could have been fixed by now.

My guess is shellplate, or die.

My problems with the LNL were from east and west on the case, and adjusting pawls helped me.

your case is North, and south. The only things that could be wrong, are the die, shellplate, or the hole in the press not lining up.

Pawls do not go that way..

Edited by bwxmas