Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a clever idea for my open rimfire Steel Challenge gun

Nimitz

I'm looking to install a left side thumb rest on my Browning Buckmark that I turned into a SC open gun. the problem is that Browning put the S/N along the left side of the frame right where you'd drill to install a thumb rest.

Anyone got a great idea for how to install a thumb rest but not destroy the S/N?

post-32005-0-24339300-1393516266_thumb.j

duplicate the s/n stamping on the surface of the thumbrest?

Not legal, you can't deface the serial number even if you re-stamp it somewhere else. Custom thumbrest with mounting holes either fore/aft as pat said or 2 above and 2 below would probably be best.

Edited by JonSnow

You can look for an earlier model Buckmark, the serial numbers were stamped on the front grip strap of pre'92 guns. Other alternatives would be to make one with a large plate that is held under the left side grip using the grip mounting screw and a locating pin or two. You could also switch to the aluminum Hogue/Tactical Solutions grip panels and have the thumb rest welded to the aluminum grip panel.

that was my first thought too but getting a Smith to do the work woukld be an "issue" .... however, it looks like Al Gore has come through again for me .... just did a quick search this morning and found this:

(can't cut & paste so ...) redwolfairsoft.com product code: as-acc-pt020-bu

looks like it might work and as a bonus it's the right color too! So, what do you think?