Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP issues

triggerman300

Hey guys/gals, I have an SLP Mk 1 that I have been using in 3-gun for about 4 years now. It has been a very reliable system until recently. The only spring I have replaced is the magazine spring, so I think I am due for some spring/parts replacement. What parts/springs do you guys recommend and where can I find them (part numbers would be great)? In case anyone is curious I typically shoot Federal Target 2.75", 1 1/8oz, 7.5 shot. The only interneal modification to the shotgun is a welded lifter by C-rums. I'm also using the factory light piston and the gun is always cleaned. The two main malfunctions I'm getting is a fail to feed where the round gets caught just on the outside of the chamber, if I press on the hull it will then feed. The second malf is a failure to eject where the hull extracts but then gets caught just on the edge of the chamber. If the shotgun was new I'd be more worried, but since it has ran reliably before my guess is that something is just worn out. And for the record, FN's customer service was NO HELP AT ALL! The rep stated I needed to run heavy loads, even with the light piston??? In any case, all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I just finished changing the springs on my SLP after a few years:

Carrier Dog Spring
Carrier Latch Spring
Cartridge Stop Spring

Action Spring

Nordic Mag Spring (changed every year)

Here is the Brownell's schematic:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=353/schematicsdetail/?aid=27795&source=ir&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-IR-_-59979#s32566sid353

For your shell getting caught on the right side of the chamber, I had that issue when the lifter was welded and extended. Some polishing of the chamber with a dremel fixed that issue.

Edited by Phong Nguyen

I actually just ordered some parts for my SLP from FN this am. This is the FN Parts # 1-800-635-1321

Use the SX2 part #'s from the link below and you will be good to go. Pages 11, 12 and 13

FYI they are out of the carrier dog spring, and said they show them due in at the end of the month, but since that is 2 days away, not sure how likely that is to happen. I couldnt find those anywhere else, so I backordered them. Plus FN is 2-3 times cheaper than other places I checked for those springs, and other small parts.

post-49311-0-96922800-1393461493_thumb.j

post-49311-0-03065200-1393461530_thumb.j

post-49311-0-16769800-1393461591_thumb.j

http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/parts/2008_winchester_parts_pricelist.pdf

Edited by JWil

Use 2 glock extractor springs with 2-3 coils cut off of one spring for your carrier dog "lifter" spring. Works like a champ and lasts longer that the factory FN offering. Browning gold recoil spring works well and adds consistency between ammo. Get that piston sealed up as well.

Hadley O.

Ugh...I had such high hopes for the SLP, but it seems like everyone is having problems after half a decade or so? I just stumbled upon 2 or 3 topics regarding disgruntled owners. Maybe the versamax and 1301 haven't aged enough to reveal reliability issues? I know it's not the same, but I have had a sig sauer p226 that has needed no replacement parts or malfunctions despite going through thousands of rounds and cleanings every 2-3 months. Is it unreasonable to expect a shotgun to maintain structural integrity due to the nature of the ammo?

I have seen $3,500 STIs go whacko in a match, Patriot ARs become jam-o-matics, pretty much ANY gun can crap out in a 3gun match. It is true that there are lots of shotgun problems, but consider the difference between a tapered rifle cartridge or a round nosed 9mm and a flat nosed- cylinder shaped plastic spud with a wrinkled nose. It is a wonder the dang things cycle at all! Especially considering the difference in operating pressure and how little gas is left to operate the action with essentially pistol powder vented a foot ahead of the chamber. Any brand of shotgun can have problems, some have known weak points and others are random. Any manufacturer can put out a Friday afternoon "is it beer-thirty yet?" lemon. But we all know the saying- "make a customer happy and he will tell a friend, make him mad and he will tell 50." Few people post up an a forum to say "just wanted to let you all know my shotgun is still workin good :) . So, you learn what you can to keep what you have running until you get tired of fighting it, then buy something else! Just like we all do with cars.

Magazine spring and lifter spring every 1K and you will be happy. I did go to 2 Glock extractor springs with 2 clipped coils on the lifter spring. After a few K, I switched to the heavy piston and I still could run the 1145 stuff. Sealing the piston will get you more wear, especially with the slugs and heavier loads. Gentle is the word with the trigger pins too. Once those get hogged out, the receiver is pretty much done.

glad i came across this. same problem. been running sx2 for a while then it seems to have gotten "finicky" not sure about selling all together and switching or just working on it more. its a shame shotguns in general arnt as reliable as say... a GLOCK. lol

I actually just finished redoing another SLP with hogged out trigger pin holes. Drill them out, threaded and then put in steel inserts, drill the internal threads out of the inserts to fit the stock pins, and viola, back to running right.

glad i came across this. same problem. been running sx2 for a while then it seems to have gotten "finicky" not sure about selling all together and switching or just working on it more. its a shame shotguns in general arnt as reliable as say... a GLOCK. lol

I prefer HK, but I definitely agree with your point. ;-)

Parts arrived today. I'm installing them tonight, also going to run my piston through a buddies sonic cleaner. I polished my chamber (as recommended) and I bought some winchester AA 1145FPS as Mark recommended. I'll run cheaper ammo for practice, as I don't care if I have to clear a malfunction, but I can't afford to have them in a match.

I'v found the Winchester AA to work better also. Much harder and smoother shells. I've had off and on experiences with the Walmart Federal bulk pack.....sometimes it runs fine and other times I get failure to feed shell-stubbing on side of chamber problems. Haven't had that with the AA, but I'm running a different action spring as of recent so going to go test the AAs again to be sure.

The 2.75dram stuff always cycles my gun and it runs fast......just that stupid shell-stub feed problem with the cheap stuff.

I've seen the same with a couple friends' M2s. Lots of variables likely on how guns are set up, broken in, and maintained.

I've only run Remington a couple times due to having to borrow shells, didn't have a problem.

Never have run Herters.

Mostly have run Federals.

The Winchester AAs, while I haven't run a ton of them, have been flawless. Going to be running them heavily going forward.

Edited by AustinWolv

a buddy got a versamax cause it was "the thing" at the time. parts kept breaking so when he replaced them he used benelli parts. i guess some are interchangeable and more bullet proof. by the time he was done he said he was in it MORE than a tricked out benelli would have run him off the bat... proof that NO shotgun is bullet proof. lol