Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watched Stoeger's DVD, I think I get it now.

Patrick Scott

Sometimes it feels like I am stuck in B class, I dryfire most days and during the good weather months I hit the range once a week. I have been using Ben's books as well as what I can remember from taking a class with him to improve. After watching the new offering from Ben I think I might have missed/forgot some important points. Now with the video in hand as well as the books(which work together) I feel the path is a little more clear. Being able to watch a skills progression from.. 1.being a new technique to 2. locking it in it dryfire to 3. confirming it in live fire(or not) to the final step of 4.using it in a match setting struck a cord with me. I never really saw my training as being that linear, more like individual things I was doing here and there that I thought was going to make me better. I can really see now that training has to be a system of checks/balances, I was missing out on that. I will say one of my favorite things about the video it watching how shooters of different skill levels make the system work, other DVDs I have watched have made me feel like getting good was almost out of reach because the skill level of the person demonstrating was so much better than I am. Anyways, I just wanted to drop this new way of thinking of mine/DVD review here in hopes of hearing from others if it sounds like maybe now I am steering a little more in the right direction.

Shamless plug:

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Training-to-Win-with-Ben-Stoeger-DVD-p/ttw-dvd.htm

• 1 month later...

I picked it up last night also, really helped being able to watch the dry fire drills, my range doesn't let us set up live fire courses unless with an RO.

Something else to work on I guess

I have been following Ben's books and the video for the past couple of months, altering the way I practice & shoot matches. I think I can already see an improvement.

Countless tips aside, for me, Ben's material has a single underlying message: you can only be fast if you practice being fast. This was a real eye-opener for me. Ben's video shows you how to do just that in great detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I wish I had this DVD when I started - would have saved a lot of time & ammo.

You may not understand the finer points at first, but it will give you a solid foundation for training the right way from the start.

I would also get the book(s), makes DVD examples fall into place much easier. If you were only to get one book, get the Practical Pistol.

Man, I wish I had this DVD when I started - would have saved a lot of time & ammo.

You may not understand the finer points at first, but it will give you a solid foundation for training the right way from the start.

I would also get the book(s), makes DVD examples fall into place much easier. If you were only to get one book, get the Practical Pistol.

I use Practical Pistol as a reference guide for when I'm going to train a certain skill like SHO/WHO to just refresh in my mind what fundamentals to focus on.

What I really like about Ben's stuff is that he's very encouraging without being condescending.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done with class. Nampa range was great. Nampa guys and gals were friendly and good shooters.

Ben was crazy to watch at first. I thought I was a good shot before I got there, but I just didn't know how to do the moving and all the uspsa stuff. I quickly saw that I was not as good as I thought. He is so damn fast and accurate.

I learned a lot there... but mainly what I learned iswhat I need to practice and how I need to practice it.

Gotta give thanks to B.S and the Nampa crew for their patience and hospitality with me. See you all when I make GM.

:)

• 3 months later...