Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag-na-porting instead of a comp on open pistol?

Captain Wheelgun

I saw recently that Jerry Miculek has his 3-gun pistol Mag-na-ported instead of using an external compensator. I'm thinking about doing this when I set up my XDm 5.25 as an open gun. In

, it seems to give good reduction in muzzle flip versus a non-ported gun. It should also make disassembly for cleaning much easier, since the barrel can be removed just like normal.

Have any of you tried this? Would it be more effective with major PF loads than with minor?

The only thing I would wonder about would be changing the comp every time something better comes along. Which is often.

Also porting is forever. Never be able to shoot it in anything other than Open in USPSA

Ken Bird I think runs one set up like that, or did at one point. It looks good, seems to work really well for him, too. But we run minor ammo. Not sure the effect on major. But if people are trying to push light bullets really fast in 9 to make major, seems like bleeding gas while it's still pushing the bullet might not be worth it.

While it's forever, if you don't like it, the process is as simple as replacing the barrel

I can not speak to mag-na-porting a competition gun. but I can speak highly of the company. They did a Ruger Redhawk for me back in the 80's . . . a hunting gun . . . not only mag-na-porting but completely going through her. It didn't shoot anything like the gun I sent then, and you talks about accurate . . . OMG! :bow:

Porting only pushes the gun down. A comp also pushes it forward. I think that is why they have both. Balance of the two to your load and gun would be important.

Muzzle flip seems (to me, at least) to be the biggest factor in getting back on target quickly. I would be OK with reducing that, while handling the straight-back recoil with a proper grip as well as tweaking the load.

Ken Bird I think runs one set up like that, or did at one point. It looks good, seems to work really well for him, too. But we run minor ammo. Not sure the effect on major. But if people are trying to push light bullets really fast in 9 to make major, seems like bleeding gas while it's still pushing the bullet might not be worth it.

While it's forever, if you don't like it, the process is as simple as replacing the barrel

Some of the open guns I've seen not only have a comp, but also have ports running up to halfway down the barrel, and the users seem to be able to hit major PF. A couple of small ports near the muzzle shouldn't affect velocity too much, I should be able to compensate with the right powder / bullet combo. I will also probably be shooting minor most of the time anyway.

What I'm looking at is building one pistol that can be used for USPSA, steel, and 3-gun. I realize it won't be ideal for any of them, but it should be a good 'jack of all trades' gun. The only time I would be using major loads is in a USPSA match.

For uspsa open major is the way to go as the gun properly set up shoots as flat or flatter with major and your not loosing points or going slower for the all alphas. In 3 gun they are doing it because they shoot minor and are sometimes after a more traditional gun

What Jerry shoots works well for him; realize his gripping strength at this point could probably crush bricks. For 3-gun and the steel matches he's using factory ammo or the equivalent and getting some porting effect from the 4 or 5 grains of powder pushing a 115 or 124 grain bullet. Also his gun looks just like the product S&W sells which is a plus for his sponsor and for clearing the full kydex 3-gun holster.

For you to use the same setup at Major you need about 7.5 to 9 grains of a slower powder; with Jerry's gun most all of that is going to blast straight out the front of the barrel in the form of rocket effect, which will make the gun seem harder to control than a 40-caliber Limited gun on the same platform. If you do what he does, stay with Minor ammo, save a lot of $$ and headaches, and keep trying out (shooting) other people's full Open guns; within a year of local matches you'll know exactly what you want.

OK, I see that it won't be ideal for major loads. I'm still interested in doing this because it should be more versatile overall. I was wondering if anyone else had actually tried this.

I have actually tried this. I had my M&P 9mm 5" CORE quad-ra-ported by Mag-na-port. I shoot my local club matches and steel with it, and I absolutely love it. Quick follow-up shots, and I use my production holster and mag pouches. RMR red dot, SSS magwell, Apex trigger and AA&A 115gr ammo. Or 124gr. reloads. I have two 170mm "big sticks" and 4 23rd Taran Tactical mags. A ton of fun, never a problem feeding. It's the most inexpensive (open minor) fun you can have!

Edited by rack&roll

OK, I see that it won't be ideal for major loads. I'm still interested in doing this because it should be more versatile overall. I was wondering if anyone else had actually tried this.

I just got done putting this one together shoots minor and major its not as flat as a comp but it is very fast and accurate.

post-40490-0-05958900-1393701118_thumb.j

I have actually tried this. I had my M&P 9mm 5" CORE quad-ra-ported by Mag-na-port. I shoot my local club matches and steel with it, and I absolutely love it. Quick follow-up shots, and I use my production holster and mag pouches. RMR red dot, SSS magwell, Apex trigger and AA&A 115gr ammo. Or 124gr. reloads. I have two 170mm "big sticks" and 4 23rd Taran Tactical mags. A ton of fun, never a problem feeding. It's the most inexpensive (open minor) fun you can have!

Sounds like a neat pistol, got any pics? Do you think you are getting good enough accuracy to make up for being Minor PF?

I just got done putting this one together shoots minor and major its not as flat as a comp but it is very fast and accurate.

attachicon.gifwinter project 019.jpg

Nice looking pistol.

Its not bad I have very big hands so that helps. Yes just the stock ports 3 on each side I might go with a comp down the road but I like the way it shoots, it almost points itself :-)

Its not an issue so far, did you try the thin grips I never even shot mine with the stock fat grips, I'm in the process of making up some different loads once I get that dailed in I should be good to go.