Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic question

ojs643

I am new to competitive shooting. I have shot in a few local matches and am now hooked. For my rifle setup, I have been using a red dot, but would like to get a 1-4x or 1-6x scope for those longer ranges. Will using a scope bump me up into "open" division? Or can I stay down where I need to be. Also, could use some recommendations on a decent scope for around $300 or so. I can afford higher but I cannot justify the higher prices at my shooting level, yet. Thanks for any and all help.

I think you would be in tactical optics class unless your running a ported barrel on your shotgun or optic on your pistol. I use a Leopold vx-2 1-4 with a duplex reticle. They run right at $300. I'm sure there are better scopes out there but I'm unbelievably stubbern when it comes to buying US made products and I think the glass is pretty good for the money. I don't think it is a true 1x maybe 1.25x on the lower setting but I can still shoot both eyes open on 1 power without issue.

I kind of like a regular duplex reticle because there isn't too much going on but they do make the same scope in a "pig plex" reticle designed for hog hunting that would allow somewhat of a hold over if shooting longer distances.

You would stay in tac optics if you get a magnified optic. Primary Arms has a 1-6 for 269 that has gotten decent reviews on here for their price point but they are out of stock. They do have a 1-4 in stock for 119 but I don't know if I have read anything on it.

My upgrades may be someone elses downgrade but i also changed the stock out for an Ace fixed and a JP spring kit for the trigger along with a different compensator (not sure if its better but trying some different ones)

The burris is a bit over the $300 mark and even more when the scope mount is added(I use an AERO PRECISION ULTRA-LITE)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running a Burris MTAC 1.5-6 for a couple years and I really like it so far. Its a little big but it doesnt get in the way and can still shoot with both eyes open no problem. I wasnt sure if I would like the reticule at first, but the more I shoot it the more I like it. Very fast up close and and still able to pull off the longer more precise shots.

A buddy has the Primary Arms 1-6 and its pretty nice also.

2013-05-04_09-59-30_231_zps6dcc6a62.jpg

Sweet rifle! I ordered the firefield 1-6x and it is ok. I am gonna hold out for the PA 1-6x. That seems to be the best value for the money but I want o say that it is a 2nd FP. They are out of stock and in high demand. Hopefully, I'll be quick enough to order one before they sell out.

I just mounted a Bushnell AR optics 1-4 with the throw down lever for fast adjustment on the move. It has illuminate reticle and I really like it. Very clear glass, easy to use, and right now Amazon has them with the millet scope mount altogether for $299.99. It's a real good deal on a great scope for 3G. Keep your open sight on the XDm ( that's the one I am using too!) and your shotgun and you are set for tac-ops.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been running a Burris MTAC 1.5-6 for a couple years and I really like it so far. Its a little big but it doesnt get in the way and can still shoot with both eyes open no problem. I wasnt sure if I would like the reticule at first, but the more I shoot it the more I like it. Very fast up close and and still able to pull off the longer more precise shots.

A buddy has the Primary Arms 1-6 and its pretty nice also.

2013-05-04_09-59-30_231_zps6dcc6a62.jpg

I have a Stag 3GL.....I love it!