Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this IDPA legal?

neckbone

Well, without knowing any specifics other than it is a 9mm Trojan, that would put you in ESP. 9mm 1911s are traditional ESP guns. Just make sure it is 43oz or less with an empty mag and make sure it fits in the box. If that is a Dawson magwell, it should fit, worst case you may have to file down the sides to make it slightly narrower.

But, for your benefit I would certainly read the equipment rules.

8.2.2.2.2. Grips may be changed provided they do not weigh more than 2.00 oz/56.7 grams more than the factory standard weight for that model.

Is it even possible to claim "factory standard" for 1911 grips? My Cocobolo grips are very light, but I've seen other factory grips made of significantly heavier wood. Granted, my VZ grips are my heaviest and I don't think are 2 full ounces heavier (though they are significantly heavier).

It would be hard if you built your gun from parts from Brownells.

It would even be pretty hard if you put heavy grips on a STI Trojan or something like that. Unless the inspector had a Trojan with stock grips to weigh, or you brought your stock grips with you, how is anyone going to check?

I've never actually seen anyone weigh grips or base pads. It's usually just the obvious check: Is it brass? Does the gun make weight, Does it fit in the box? Are the exterior mods legal? Go play.

Edited by Steve Koski

• 2 months later...